PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling XP On New HDD, Old Boot HDD Now Slave

Term_X
30-06-2008, 09:39 PM
hey folks,

just wondering, im reinstalling xp on the new hard drive, will the old hard which i will use as a slave, automatically become d drive when i connect it up?

Speedy Gonzales
30-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Depends if you have a cd or dvd as well.

Which maybe D. The old hdd maybe E or F.

Term_X
30-06-2008, 09:56 PM
oh yes theres a dvd drive as well. i was thinking in terms more of will the old c drive clash with the new c drive when i boot up the pc?

Speedy Gonzales
30-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Umm no but if its (the old hdd) is still connected when you install XP on the new hdd, it'll give you an option to select either (to boot from), once the install on the new hdd has finished.

You'll have to change the boot.ini file on the new hdd, (after you've installed XP on it), if you only want to boot from the new hdd.

Or disconnect the old hdd first (before you install XP on the new hdd). Then reconnect it after XP has been installed.

Term_X
01-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks Speedy

the second option worked. i installed xp on the new drive first and then connected the old boot drive which became e: as the dvd drive is usually d:

the new drive is a 300gb drive with 280 useable. i want to use partition magic? to split create another partition specifically for data.

what would be the minimum recommeded size to resize the boot partition? i was thinking 30gb.. maybe 40? how about 20? just want to maximise space for data.

this is so if windows goes kak later i dont have to worry about the data sides of things.

Speedy Gonzales
01-07-2008, 07:20 PM
You could / should have partitioned it before you installed XP on the new hdd.

It would have made things easier

I use 40 GB for C here. Its plenty. Depends if you want to install a lot of games on C.

Thats what I did here. 40 GB for the main hdd, and the rest for updates.

That way, If I have to format, I dont have to download all of the updates again.

Altho, at the mo, I'm making up another ISO / CD with most of XP's updates on it. So, next time I reinstall, it'll be up to date

Bantu
01-07-2008, 09:06 PM
You can change the drive letters no problem.

Right click My Computer on the desktop and choose Manage
Choose Disk Management
Select the drive you want to change and Right click and change drive letter.

To get them how you want them you may have to change them a couple of times maybe to a higher letter then back to what you want as you adjust them if you have several drives/partitions.

You can get to it from Control Panel/Administrative Tools /Computer Management