PDA

View Full Version : AV/firewall pairing

aidanmaz
30-06-2008, 02:51 PM
what would be a good antivirus to pair with zonealarm pro? I have thought about getting their suite but the reviews say it isnt very good. my machine isnt too fast and i want something light but effective.

wratterus
30-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Pity you have ZA.

Avast or NOD32 (if you want to pay for an AV) with Comodo firewall works really well.

aidanmaz
30-06-2008, 03:13 PM
ok so u say comodo firewall, with what AV (free is nice but pay is okay too)

wratterus
30-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Pity you have ZA.

Avast or NOD32 (if you want to pay for an AV) with Comodo firewall works really well.

Avast Home is free.

aidanmaz
30-06-2008, 03:20 PM
yeah i have it....and pro on my laptop, i just get that feeling it doesnt do much...

Speedy Gonzales
30-06-2008, 03:24 PM
yeah i have it....and pro on my laptop, i just get that feeling it doesnt do much...

Guess you thought wrong

It does a lot more than AVG, and probably Symantec's AV

beeswax34
30-06-2008, 03:32 PM

Other than NOD32, Avast is pretty much the best AV out there and you have Pro too! What exactly do you want it to do?

Norton does all sorts of things like pop-ups and tell you its all good and meanwhile half your system gets destroyed.

aidanmaz
30-06-2008, 03:44 PM
lol at norton. I do hav symantec corporate (dont ask where i get these things cos they just appear on my desk......its legal) i want an AV to just sit there and not hog all my ram

smokey
30-06-2008, 04:07 PM

lol at norton. I do hav symantec corporate (dont ask where i get these things cos they just appear on my desk......its legal) i want an AV to just sit there and not hog all my ram

lol @ aidanmaz.

aidanmaz
30-06-2008, 04:15 PM
not that i use the corporate edition...i just have it....

wratterus
30-06-2008, 04:50 PM

LOL. It's because you are used to nortons slowing everything down and constantly bombarding you with messages about this and that and your system is at risk because you have a tracking cookie on your computer...and so on, that when you get an AV that works properly, you're worried it's not doing it's thing properly. I feel sorry for you.

NOD32 is even better.

aidanmaz
30-06-2008, 05:19 PM
anyone hav anything to say about comodo AV?

Speedy Gonzales
30-06-2008, 05:20 PM

Its still in beta isnt it?? if it is it'll be buggy. Dont use it yet

Sweep
30-06-2008, 06:08 PM

One would think that if you have a firewall and antivirus that actually works then that would be all would you need. I do not use comodo currently but have tried the firewall in the past.

Buy comodo if you want to.

I use windows Vista firewall along with Avast and for some reason my computer has not been infected. This may have something to do with the fact that I do not use P2P in any shape or form and do not swap software or files with anyone.

"lol at norton. I do hav symantec corporate (dont ask where i get these things cos they just appear on my desk......its legal) i want an AV to just sit there and not hog all my ram"

So where does the software come from? I would be rather pleased if the latest software just landed on my desk along with legal keys or codes.

For antivirus I would tend to use AVG 8 or Avast or maybe even Antivir which I have not used in some time.

wainuitech
30-06-2008, 06:33 PM
dont ask where i get these things cos they just appear on my desk. Thats called spyware.

If you want to test your antivirus software go to This site here (http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm) Theres a set of files that are on the page near the bottom, they test your antivirus to make sure they are detecting the files as a virus - completely harmless - no pay load, according to the site, you download and scan with your AV it should say its an infection.

Eset - Nod32 wont even let it load, thats how good Nod is, stops it before trouble happens - Have a look bottom right hand corner (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Eset_Stopped.png) :thumbs:

aidanmaz
30-06-2008, 11:42 PM
im not complain about the software landing on my desk in my room. i just want more knowledgeable peoples opinions :thumbs: just because i hav the software doesnt mean its any good. hmm what about Computer Associates eTrust?

These days theres so many antiviruses, its hard to choose one thats decent, but as i keep seeing, Nod32 seems to be the best....

Speedy Gonzales
30-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Forget other AV programs, use Avast or NOD32.

Your wanted an opinion, we gave it / ours

aidanmaz
01-07-2008, 12:57 AM
awesome off to purchase nod32 2morro morning. cheers

gary67
01-07-2008, 07:22 AM
Avast and Comodo seem to be a great combination so far no bugs in over a year of use and kid use limewire too and we still clean thats 3 comps

wratterus
01-07-2008, 09:04 AM
im not complain about the software landing on my desk in my room. i just want more knowledgeable peoples opinions :thumbs: just because i hav the software doesnt mean its any good. hmm what about Computer Associates eTrust?

These days theres so many antiviruses, its hard to choose one thats decent, but as i keep seeing, Nod32 seems to be the best....

eTrust is extremely average. I never does anything. Never even seems to update sometimes.

You won't be disappointed with NOD32.