PDA

View Full Version : where is the logic

Greven
29-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know the logic behind the US version of firefox including the US dictionary, but the british version of firefox not including the british dictionary?

Firefox spell check is a great feature & I see a lot of people try firefox & not even know about the feature untill I tell them about it because the british version doesn't come with any dictionaries installed by default.

SurferJoe46
29-06-2008, 01:06 PM
It's the Brits who misspell words with the extra "u's" and "s" instead of "z". That's why they are not trusted to correct spelling or linguistic errors.

Youse guys are just following in footsteps....

Here's an example if my spellchecker will let the obvious mistakes go out.....

rumour = rumor (see? No extra "u")
colour = color (my spellchecker is gonna vomit if I keep this up!)

Greven
29-06-2008, 01:14 PM
hmm. I see. Those Us are so repulsive that Mozilla can't bring themselves to release an application that condones their use, but those pesky Europeans demand that you traitorous tea haters don't remove their precious Us. The only option that satisfies both criteria is to release a version that doesn't discriminate against poor spelling.

Marnie
29-06-2008, 01:57 PM
It's the Brits who misspell words with the extra "u's" and "s" instead of "z". That's why they are not trusted to correct spelling or linguistic errors.

Youse guys are just following in footsteps....

Here's an example if my spellchecker will let the obvious mistakes go out.....

rumour = rumor (see? No extra "u")
colour = color (my spellchecker is gonna vomit if I keep this up!)

Oh dear Joe!!!

I think you have Noah Webster to blame (or thank) for those differences.
He complained that the English language had been corrupted by British aristrocracy. Tut tut!!!

He slowly changed the spelling of certain words that so they became 'Americanis(z)ed. Dropping 'L's', changing 're to er' etc. A fascinating subject, that begs a sense of humo(u)r.

PaulD
29-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know the logic behind the US version of firefox including the US dictionary, but the british version of firefox not including the british dictionary?

I had been using the English (British) version of FF2 so was directed to the equivalent version of 3.0. There's a long list of fully localised versions on the download page.

wainuitech
29-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Awhh they just cant speak proper like:xmouth:

gary67
29-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Americans cant spell or speak so they B"stardised the language to suit simple minds after all only a simpleton would elect another simpleton to be President and then not question how he rigged the next election with help from his Bro Jed then they say Mugabe is corrupt go figure....

:thumbs:

the_bogan
29-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Americans cant spell or speak so they B"stardised the language to suit simple minds after all only a simpleton would elect another simpleton to be President and then not question how he rigged the next election with help from his Bro Jed then they say Mugabe is corrupt go figure....

I can picture an argument like this in a year or so... John Keys?

SurferJoe46
30-06-2008, 02:28 AM

Love your neat, concise and accurate reporting. In just 49 words too!

beeswax34
30-06-2008, 02:57 AM

Yes, because NZ'ers can spell or have good grammar skills. Jenny Shipley anyone?

Bantu
30-06-2008, 08:00 AM
Youse guys

"Youse" Must be in the American dictionary, it is not in any other that I am aware of:-)

SurferJoe46
30-06-2008, 08:14 AM
"Youse" Must be in the American dictionary, it is not in any other that I am aware of:-)

Nah! Dat's Chicago.

PaulD
30-06-2008, 08:18 AM

Believe it or not "youse" is in the Oxford English Dictionary as a dialect variation on "you" with examples dating back to 1893.

R2x1
30-06-2008, 09:09 AM
It's a house full of yobos.

wratterus
30-06-2008, 10:12 AM
It's a house full of yobos.

yobbos.

R2x1
30-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Not that bad, just b's, not multib's ;)

wratterus
30-06-2008, 10:16 AM
I was wondering what a yobo was, for a while. Gotta love the Engrish langrage.

Marnie
30-06-2008, 10:22 AM
I was wondering what a yobo was, for a while. Gotta love the Engrish langrage.

They are first cousins of the gits.