PDA

View Full Version : I think I've just been infected with a virus and have removed it

JOEJG
28-06-2008, 09:56 PM
My CCleaner has been used just now and its on Ad-Aware 2007 at the moment. So I hope its gone.

Its the supposed MSN contact virus:

http://www.squidnews.com/2008/01/23/your-msn-contacts-may-be-sending-you-viruses-mainmsncom/

I've just had a very similar situation where one contact gave me a message like

foto?
link was here and my msn at the end of the link. And I've been aware of advertizements taking over, sending links off address and then loggin off, but this person was still logged on, so I tried opening it. Though I thought it was the case of a virus, so deleted it manually myself through Windows search. It saved in my C: WINDOWS/Prefetch.

So would it be gone? I've rebooted as well and when it did, it came up with another message asking for me to open C:WINDOWS, but I closed the box and never. My computer seems to be running at normal speed.

Would it have done much damage?

Edit: Also when I tried opening my IE, it logged me onto an a2articles site.

JOEJG
28-06-2008, 10:14 PM
It set my homepage to that site, but I've changed it back. Nor has my Ad-Aware found anyting yet, but its still scanning.

Ok, my Ad-Aware found a MRU registry key and so I've deleted it.

Sorry I've only ever had 1 virus that my Norton picked off years ago, so I'm acting a bit scared. And thats out of 8 years of surfing.

pctek
28-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Use Spybot, Spyware Terminator and Hijackthis.

JOEJG
28-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Just posted my latest Hijackthis.

The MSN contact has tried doing it again, but obviously I'm on full-guard now.

Edit: And again. Thats 3 times now, so I've closed my MSN messenger.

JOEJG
29-06-2008, 02:13 AM
I had help in my Hijackthis thread, and its been solved. A mod can lock this now?

drcspy
29-06-2008, 03:39 AM
ccleaner is not any kind of virus removal program at all