PDA

View Full Version : Spyware Doctor

IanS
27-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Several months ago when free Ad-Aware was no longer supported, I installed Spyware Doctor. Since then the computer is slow to start and runs slowly for 15 or 20 minutes after startup. [While the Doctor does his job??]
Has anyone else had this problem with Spyware Doctor?
Does anyone know of a comparison between Spyware Doctor and AVG Anti-Spyware free edition and is there any similar slowing down problem with AVG Anti- Spyware?
I also have had update problems with Spyware Doctor that were referred to in this forum a week ago. The problems are still there.
I have Advanced Windows Care installed and AVG Anti-Virus. Do I need the Doctor or anything similar??
AMD Athlon 910Mhz, XP Pro

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2008, 04:07 PM
I think Ad-aware the free version is still around, its probably because you were using 2006 not 2007

They stopped updating 2006. Actually, it looks like Ad-aware free is up to 2008.

Avast also deals with Antispyware (its similar to AVG, but probably better), as well as an AV and antirootkit scanner

wainuitech
27-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Go Into the Spyware Doctor settings and make sure its not set to scan on start up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Windows Care is also causing some problems. I have removed that from many customers PC's and instantly got speed back.

IanS
27-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks for replies, Spyware Doctor is not set to run on start up.
AVAST seems to be very comprehensive being both Anti virus and Anti spyware, is anything else needed? I will remove both AVG and Spyware Doctor and replace them with Avast. I will leave Advanced Windows Care for the present as it appears to root out a lot of rubbish.
On a different topic, I am wondering why I am described as a "Junior Member" when I am nearer 90 than 80!!?? Perhaps it is because I was over 80 before I started fiddling with computers!!??
IanS

feersumendjinn
27-06-2008, 07:49 PM
On a different topic, I am wondering why I am described as a "Junior Member" when I am nearer 90 than 80!!?? Perhaps it is because I was over 80 before I started fiddling with computers!!??
IanS
You can change this through the User CP (control panel) at top left of the forum page, go to Settings & Options>Edit Profile>Custom User Title.:clap

FrankS
01-07-2008, 11:01 AM
IanS, presuming you paid for Spyware Doctor by credit card, take care in removing it that you don't get a bill on your credit card in a few months time for another years sub for Spyware Doctor as they automatically deduct your card.

pctek
01-07-2008, 01:48 PM
AVAST seems to be very comprehensive being both Anti virus and Anti spyware, is anything else needed?
IanS

Always have at least 2 antispyware programs.
Spybot for instance.

Junior as in how long you have been here or how many posts or whatever. Not your age.
But you can edit it and write whatever you would like to be displayed.
See some of the other members entertaining descriptions............

IanS
02-07-2008, 11:21 AM
IanS, presuming you paid for Spyware Doctor by credit card, take care in removing it that you don't get a bill on your credit card in a few months time for another years sub for Spyware Doctor as they automatically deduct your card.

I used the free version so this problem should not arise. Thanks for the warning.
IanS