PDA

View Full Version : emails on network

Arnie
27-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi
I have a situation where there are 3 computers connected thru a router via lan.

Emails come into one computer, can I set it up so these emails can be seen or recieved and replied to on the other 2 computers as well?

:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Just add the account for the email addy, to the other PC's (with Outlook / OE / whatever email client), with the username/password

You probably cant (or shouldnt) access the same email addy from all 3 at the same time tho

Or receive them on the first PC and forward them to the other 2.. Are all 3 using the same email addy or are they different?

Arnie
27-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Speedy

Mostly the one addy eg: enquieries@---------.co.nz or in some cases a personal name eg: phil@--------.co.nz

Will try adding the accounts unless the above makes a difference.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Shouldnt make a diff, with what you posted.

Just don't log into the email client at the same time, to check the email

Just remember to spell enquiries right :D

Arnie
27-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Yea got the mistake but knew it would not make a difference to my querie.

Everything is all go, heaps of thanks:thanks :thanks

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2008, 02:33 PM
No probs :)

berryb
27-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Doing it this way will download all the messages to the computer that checks the email first. The others will not download the messages since they have already been download.
The work around is in the account properties under the advance tab you can have 2 computer set to leave mail on the server and 1 computer set to delete the mail after 7 days or whatever time you want.

This way all computers will get all the incoming mail from the same account. There is no way under this setup that out going mail can be on the other PC's unless you cc the email address in the email.

Safari
27-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Very confusing arrangement to have a setup like that, it would be better to have each computer setup for a specific address. Even if mail was set to leave mail on server so everyone can see all messages, no one will have any idea what each other is doing regarding replies or action of emails.

If the mail was set up for IMAP it would be much easier to manage.

zcc
27-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Sounds like a prime candidate for a shared directory to hold the received emails/profiles etc.
And don't use email at the same time.

berryb
28-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Yes it is confusing but if everyone understands how it works then can be an option. I agree IMAP is a far better option.