PDA

View Full Version : Install Windows XP in a formatted Hard Drive

prayami
27-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Hi,

I just bought "20 GB IDE Hard drive" from trademe. I have auto boot DVD for Windows XP Professional. The hard drive is formatted.

When I put the DVD in the DVD drive and boot the computer, it is giving me error "Invalid Drive.....". Generally with auto boot DVD, it is showing the message that "Press F10 to boot from DVD" etc. But it is not giving me error and going directly to error message. I tried the F8 key as well.

When I boot the computer, it is detecting the "Master Drive for HDD" and "Secondary Drive" for DVD Drive and display the message for detected drives and after that it is giving the error message of "Invalid Drive...". I have checked the jumper for making the new hard drive as master.

Question is: is it possible to boot from "Auto Boot DVD of Win XP" in formatted HDD or it will require "Auto Boot Disk or Floppy". If it requires "Auto Boot Disk or Floppy" then please let me know, how can I make that disk. Because I don't know, how to make such "Auto Boot Disk".

Thanks,

jwil1
27-06-2008, 09:11 AM
XP Pro should have come on a CD not a DVD.

Is it an original XP disc??

Is the drive a DVD drive or a CD drive? CD drives can't read DVDs.

CYaBro
27-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Hi,

I just bought "20 GB IDE Hard drive" from trademe. I have auto boot DVD for Windows XP Professional. The hard drive is formatted.

When I put the DVD in the DVD drive and boot the computer, it is giving me error "Invalid Drive.....". Generally with auto boot DVD, it is showing the message that "Press F10 to boot from DVD" etc. But it is not giving me error and going directly to error message. I tried the F8 key as well.

When I boot the computer, it is detecting the "Master Drive for HDD" and "Secondary Drive" for DVD Drive and display the message for detected drives and after that it is giving the error message of "Invalid Drive...". I have checked the jumper for making the new hard drive as master.

Question is: is it possible to boot from "Auto Boot DVD of Win XP" in formatted HDD or it will require "Auto Boot Disk or Floppy". If it requires "Auto Boot Disk or Floppy" then please let me know, how can I make that disk. Because I don't know, how to make such "Auto Boot Disk".

Thanks,

It sounds like you need to go into the BIOS (usually press DEL) and set the boot order to boot from the DVD drive first.
Most likely it is set to boot from the hard drive first at the moment.

pctek
27-06-2008, 10:09 AM

When I put the DVD in the DVD drive and boot the computer, it is giving me error "Invalid Drive.....". Generally with auto boot DVD, it is showing the message that "Press F10 to boot from DVD" etc.

XP is on CD not DVD.
Make sure the first Boot device is the CD drive.
Then you should get a message saying Press any key to boot from CD...........

Not F10.

XP will also format and partition the drive, probably best to do that - just in case.

autechre
27-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Provided the CD/DVD is actually bootable, you should be able to boot from it.

Is the CD/DVD drive set as the first boot device in your BIOS? Is the CD/DVD drive set as Secondary & not cable select?

sroby
27-06-2008, 01:26 PM
pretty unlikey fixes but worth a try.....
The bios may not be set to auto detect the new drive-ie may be setup
as the old drive
go into the bios & make sure it detects the 20g
the 20G drive may be faulty (its fairly old)
A few pc's will not boot from CD without hitting say F9,F12 during bootup & then entering boot from cd (BOOTMENU screen)
CD drive may be faulty,or disk may be unreadable.

drcspy
27-06-2008, 01:38 PM
yeh theres no such thing at 'autoboot' an xp cd it will ALWAYS flash up the message for about 5 seconds:

"press any key to boot from cd"

drcspy
27-06-2008, 01:39 PM
and of course if you miss that message (dont see it) and the sysetm will then try to boot from the next drive in the boot order, in this case if it's the hdd then it will say 'invalid disk' or a similar message as the hdd hasn't been formatted/partitioned ?

CYaBro
27-06-2008, 02:02 PM
yeh theres no such thing at 'autoboot' an xp cd it will ALWAYS flash up the message for about 5 seconds:

"press any key to boot from cd"

You only get that message if it detects a bootable hard drive.
If the hard drive is blank/formated then it will boot from the CD straight away.

drcspy
27-06-2008, 02:20 PM
hm...........hell in all the hundreds of times i've booted with an xp cd I've never noticed that........then again I dont usually boot with the cd unless theres a working (albiet soemtimes damaged) hdd in there.......

prayami
27-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks everybody for reply,

Sorry I have CD. Now I set the first boot device to CD ROM. But now it is giving me error "No Emulation". I searched the net and it says I require to make "Boot Disk". As my old PC is not woking yet and new PC doen't have floppy drive, I need to make CD as Boot Disk. The problem is my new PC which is working has Vista. Is it possible to get ready made "Boot Disk" which have to write in CD and use it in old computer to boot up.

Thanks,

drcspy
27-06-2008, 05:42 PM
http://www.techimo.com/forum/technical-support/181748-no-emulation.html

read the last post last paragraph

I have also come across a suggestion that you mayhave a bad cdrom drive.....