PDA

View Full Version : Crazy user

PPp
25-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm a late adapter of XP and am having problems with my User account. It started this morning with a jittery mouse pointer, and then Notepad kept scrolling down to the bottom of the page continiously. I closed it but found it was still on the desktop, in fact on investigating futher the task bar informed me there was 179 notepads present!!

After much vigerous mouse clicking I closed them all only to find the start menu and desktop items very unstable starting up with no logical input from me. I closed things down and tonight have found my user account( not the name) seems to have gone to the default screen(Green hill, Blue sky) shortcuts are still there but email invites me to start a new account, I am also invited to tour Windows XP!

Futher investigation from the admin account( working OK)in the device manager shows a minus next to a computer icon named user followed by numbers. User profiles(system properties\advanced) shows two users(same name), one being a backup and being much larger then the other, which is a temp file. The backup is the only one that is able to be deleted. Harddrive light flickers when PC is switched off.
Event viewer shows warning and event codes for user a\c
sourced as "userenv". Codes are 1509,1511, 1515, 1508 plus a lot of other code numbers for apps.

I have surge protectors and unplugged everything overnight but power dropped out a couple of times during the day, yesterday. Some thunder around!

I am happy to start a new user a\c but not too happy to lose data(emails mostly) and no, I do not have system restore activated.

Any help gratefully accepted

Jen
25-06-2008, 08:28 PM
It is possible your profile has become corrupt. There is a MS article here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837115) that mentions the errors you are noting in the event viewer. [Edit: just realised while it mentions userenv, your error codes mentioned are different, so this may not be helpful afterall]

Do the events show more information under details?

The fact your mouse works correctly under a different profile sort of rules out a faultly mouse (they can go all random with multiple programs opening up and uncontrollable scrolling etc).

I take it you have already scanned for malware and viruses?

If worse comes to worse and you do need a new user account, your current email stuff etc can be migrated to the new account.

PPp
25-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the link Jen. I'll browse through it, and the page links and come back.

pctek
25-06-2008, 09:29 PM
XP
the task bar informed me there was 179 notepads present!!
I closed things down and tonight have found my user account( not the name) seems to have gone to the default screen(
The backup is the only one that is able to be deleted.

Your profile died.

Don't delete anything yet!! See here:
http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2004/12/15/get-it-done-recover-a-damaged-windows-xp-user-profile/

About recovering your old stuff from the damaged profile.

Once you havem then you can delete the duplicates.

ANd then run some malware scans - I'd be suspicious.

PPp
25-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks Jen! The problems I had were similar but not the same, I linked around from your original and sent some error codes to MS without a lot of info back, seems as if a temp user is created if a program conflict arises and possible errors in the registry(very aproximatley with my limited knowledge) So decided to use Easycleaner to cleanup Registry and unnecessary files, consequently I am writing this in my newly resurrected user account. Thanks once again for the pointer.

PPp
25-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks Pctek Missed your post while checking out Jens link,

I'll check you link as well, though so far things seem back to normal