PDA

View Full Version : Computer space cleanup advice

JOEJG
25-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Ok, so I've been using the delete cookies etc for years now. Always making sure I did it every single day, but I'm approaching a bit of a problem and really need to get to the bottom of this!

My C: in My Computer has only 528 MB free space, 5.59 GB total.
My D: in My Computer has 92.4 GB free space, 106 GB total.

I've literally taken everything I can off without getting rid of important programs. Now its possible that when my computer was in its younger years that I was storing everything on the C: without much thought. So I'm always now aiming to move things on the D: to give the C: some room.

Anyway, yesterday I recently installed CCleaner and used that and sorted as much as I could in general, giving me 1.90 GB odd free space on my C drive. Then I finally decided to upgrade to Windows Service Pack 2, since I never bothered, but also installed Windows Live Messenger though found myself constantly crashing whenever I entered the program (at the time I never thought it was this, but the pack update). So now thats gone (uninstalled WLM), after crashing and me then thinking it was my monitor overheating or the service pack, I'm stuck with just 100 MB in my C: when I log on and get the warning message of low disc space (from over 1 GB to 100 MB, this is caused due to the crashing or SP2?) Now, at the present time, finally after getting rid of the limit of all things unimportant to me, I'm on the 500 odd space and really want this problem sorted.

I use the CCleaner, Ad-Aware 2007, disc cleanup and defragmentator quite often. Though the latter, not too often.

I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Edit: CPU specs:
Windows XP HOME Edition 2002
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (Bought this as a 2800, but turned down the fan speed since it was crashing due to gaming)
1.69 GHz 512 MB of RAM
Service Pack 2

JOEJG
25-06-2008, 04:44 AM
Sorry about the double post, but the edit button has expired. I've been reading other similar topics and found that my system restore on C: was hogging a lot and by turning it down to 200MB I freed about 400 MB, so now I'm in the 900's. Moving on, I read some more posts and downloaded Space Monger which is handy when seeing the portions compare against each other.

My C:
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a177/LittleDragonZhaoYun/?action=view&current=spacemongerdelete.jpg

I hope this can help you.

zqwerty
25-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Use Alt+Prnt Scrn to save a better image.

there are programs which can increase the size of your C partition, some of them free, 5 Gig is too small for OS, I recommend 15 Gig for XPpro. Search this forum as this has been discussed a number of times before.

autechre
25-06-2008, 09:24 AM
You can probably get rid of the SP2 backup files as well if you're really desperate. It will mean that if Windows requires any files it will ask for the XP install CD.

But the best solution would be to resize your C: to something more reasonable.

pctek
25-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Using Windows Explorer, cut your MyDocuments folder, then Paste it into D:
That should free up a bit as by default docs, photos, music etc gets stored here.

You could also uninstall various programs and reinstall using Custom mode into D: instead.

With a small C: you should never install anything onto it. Always install to D:

Thebananamonkey
25-06-2008, 10:49 AM
So is buying a new, larger hard drive not an option? It doesn't sound worth the fuss to me unless you absolutely can't afford to upgrade.

A 500GB Sata HDD costs around $150NZD, which is about 50 Pounds. I'd imagine it would be even cheaper over there.

smokey
25-06-2008, 12:51 PM
yeah, i wouldnt frig around trying to claim back more space as you be doing it forever. just buy a new hard drive, make it a slave and move all your data onto it. or you could clone your current os drive onto the new one.

JOEJG
25-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll move as much as I can to my D: and buy an upgrade when I can get time off work. Cheers.