PDA

View Full Version : I E 5.5 won't open more than one window

07-05-2001, 11:36 PM
I have Internet explorer 5.5 installed on my Win98 PC. All was going well until I tried to update it to a later version to try and avoid the latest security flaws. It wouldn't install properly and now it wont allow more than 1 window to be open at a time(the window does open on top, but it is blank and the modem lights indicate nothing is happening). So I have been forced into a lot of cut and paste of URLs. Re installing 5.5 has not worked. Does anyone have a solution?

09-05-2001, 01:41 AM
...how many times have you upgraded Internet Explorer on your System's current install?

Problems can occur if you have done this more than twice - especially if one of the interim upgrades was a Beta version.

Recommended good practise is to uninstall any upgrades *before* installing a new version. That might even involve rolling back to the initial version of Internet Explorer installed with your copy of Windows.

Some users get into a real mess after starting off with version 4.0, going to 5.0, upgrading to 5.01 and then trying to load 5.5 (and all its variants).

The following Google site lists relevant Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles on uninstalling various versions of Internet Explorer:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=%22How+to+uninstall+Internet+Explorer% 22&num=10&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=microsoft.com&safe=off

Good Luck!