PDA

View Full Version : Calling MS NZ

gary67
24-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I am rebuilding my comp this week after the Mobo died and am going to reinstall my XP, if it doesn't validate I have to call MS NZ? Correct? I will have to do this from work possibly so what info will they ask for just my product key? or anyhting else?

:thanks

beeswax34
24-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Just your product key and maybe a few of your personal details.

gary67
24-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Oh ok thanks should be fine then just did not want to call them and not have the correct info

wainuitech
24-06-2008, 07:42 PM
They usually wont actually ask for the product key, you call them on the toll free number 0800 676 334, then press 2 (From Memory) you need to enter in the 36 or 42 digit code (cant remember the amount off the top of my head) on a touch tone phone that windows generates . No letters like in the product code.

You then wait and listen to the woffle about already being installed and if you think this message is incorrect press 1 (from memory again) to actually speak to a person.

You then answer any questions, like is it installed on any other PC's etc.

As long as they believe you, they then give you a new 36/42 digit code, 3 numbers at a time which you are meant to enter, mind you if you don't have the PC you will need to tell them that.

They usually don't ask for the actual product key unless there is a problem.

As you may guess I have done this a few times :D

beeswax34
24-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Weird, they asked me for my product key when I called. Must have been an exception rather than the rule.

Sweep
24-06-2008, 09:30 PM
So Gary67. You want to validate the O/S from work rather than at home possibly?

Unlike others I am really not sure how this would work other than remote control.

Doing this at home is easy. Validating from work brings in other issues maybe.

beeswax34
24-06-2008, 10:15 PM
What are you talking about? All he has to do is call MS who will give him a new product/serial key.

Then he writes it down on paper.

Takes said paper home and enters it into his home PC. It is now validated.

wainuitech
24-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Every time I've done it when it doesn't validate, I have had to enter by phone the numbers Widows generates, go through the usual - yes its only on one PC, or the reason its saying its already validated is because the Motherboard blew and that's being changed ;) then they give new numbers.

Only twice had to give the actual Product key (COA) it was something in the first 6 numbers that must have set of something as " this is not right".
Once I had to give the COA, as well as the X?? -????? numbers (small print numbers on the COA), they cross checked those and then issued a new code.

Personally I 'd do it from home - doesn't cost anything as its a 0800 number.

CYaBro
24-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Personally I 'd do it from home - doesn't cost anything as its a 0800 number.

Yea you can even to do from a cell phone, I do all the time. :thumbs:
It would be easier to be in front of the PC at the time of calling.

Sweep
24-06-2008, 10:47 PM
What are you talking about? All he has to do is call MS who will give him a new product/serial key.

Then he writes it down on paper.

Takes said paper home and enters it into his home PC. It is now validated.

You mean people actually write these days on paper?
And they also do it correctly without using TXT?
Wow. I am learning more each day.

What is a new product/serial key when it comes to activation Beeswax?
You would need an activation code which is somewhat different from the usual 25 characters.

But of course you know this already do you not?

Gary67 may be able to validate from work and get a validation code and write it down or copy and paste and send to printer.

There again Gary67 may not have a job after doing this sort of thing from work. If I found a person using a work computer for other purposes then they may not have a job.

Personally I would do it from home.

gary67
25-06-2008, 07:34 AM
I would not be using a work comp don't tend to have that type in a joinery shop, was thinking unless I can get home early on a Friday that I would indeed have to call from work. I work 7.30 till 5 and 4 on Fridays and according to their web site they close at 5, unless i'm wrong anyone know what time they stop taking calls?

Sp00n
25-06-2008, 07:42 AM
I would not be using a work comp don't tend to have that type in a joinery shop, was thinking unless I can get home early on a Friday that I would indeed have to call from work. I work 7.30 till 5 and 4 on Fridays and according to their web site they close at 5, unless i'm wrong anyone know what time they stop taking calls?

I did this last nite at about 9.30 pm at home with my cellfone to the 0800 number.
Didnt speak to a human at all.
Keyed in the numbers generated by my computer as requested and then after a few seconds was given a new list of 48 numbers which I could listen to as often as i needed, keyed them in to my computer and hey presto, validation successful. It took about 5 minutes if that.
It must help if your software is legit :thumbs:

wainuitech
25-06-2008, 09:07 AM
If you call the 0800 676 334 Number, thats world wide, it goes to the first available operator if you have to talk to some one, thats if doesn't give back the numbers like Sp00n mentioned.

It usually jumps you to some place in Asia , or sometimes even the US.
I dont think once I have actually gotten to a operator in NZ. Done it as late as 11.15pm, and many times on the weekends - never a problem.

Trev
25-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Yes you can do it 24/7. Last time I did it, I did it the same way as Sp00n also.
:)

gary67
25-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Ah ha thats what I needed to know so I don't have to rush home from work. :groan: Mobo didn't arrive but RAM did both from Ascent bugger there goes my weekend as I out tomorrow evening :groan: