PDA

View Full Version : Working with a network drive

daveconz
24-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I have just added a network drive to my LAN for the first time. I'd really like to use this as my main working hard drive, i.e. where I keep all the files I'm currently working on so I can access them easily from anywhere on the LAN. So far it's working okay except that it's often really slow opening, editing and saving files. I'm new to working like this so I'm not sure how much of the slow performance is normal for a network drive, and whether there's anything I can do to speed things up.

Most of the time I can browse files in Windows Explorer or Mac Finder with an acceptable lag, although Windows is painfully slow indexing large directories for the first time. Applications such as Photoshop can open and save files okay. MYOB is quite sluggish opening and saving files. Things get bad in Dreamweaver CS3 - the site cache is too slow to use, small files take several seconds to open, there is a severe lag when editing in WSYWIG mode, and saving files can take up to 10 seconds or more.

And yet I can open these same files on the iMac (using TextEdit) and save them at close to normal speed. All in all it doesn't seem like there's a hard speed limit in the network, it just seems that some applications are worse than others at working over the network. Does that sound likely? If so, can I convince them to work faster?

Here is my system:
Network drive: LaCie 2big 2-disk raid (2x1TB mirrored - I know that's slower but I want it for safety)
Network: Gigabit ethernet, US Robotics router (10/100/1000Mbps)
Desktop PC: Vista 32-bit, Intel Core Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 4GB RAM
iMac: OSX, 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo
I also have 1 more Vista and 2 XP computers - network performance is similar on all of them.

While playing around I found the JumboFrame option - I haven't changed it from the default 1500 bytes because I don't understand the implications.

Thanks for any advice.

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Install SP1 in Vista, if it isnt installed

And SP3 on XP

daveconz
24-06-2008, 05:00 PM
SP1 installed on Vista already. I'll do SP3 on the XP PCs now.

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2008, 05:04 PM
If theyre AMD or HP's with AMD's (the XP PC's). It may not be a good idea installing SP3

daveconz
24-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Okay, thanks. I'm all Intel by the looks of it.

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Is it any better?

Also try disabling Indexing in XP and Vista (right mouse on C / properties / allow indexing service to index this disk).

You can do the same with any other hdd thats installed

It can slow things down in XP and Vista

And if you use something like Google Toolbar / Desktop, I think it is, and Nero Scout which both use Indexing disable them

SolMiester
24-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Wonder if its the master browser service....do you run local host files for DNS?

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Good point, I changed it to false on these in the registry (XP)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\ MaintainServerList change this to false, then reboot

An error kept appearing in event viewer about it.

I wouldnt know what it did anyway. Everything still works fine

I think thats what youre talking about

daveconz
26-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Sorry for going AWOL there, something came up.

I disabled indexing on the C drive and I think I may have noticed a slight overall improvement but not much. I don't see any option to disable indexing on the network drive specifically.

I had already disabled Nero Scout (what the hell was it doing there in the first place?)

I'm not sure about the master browser service. Does it apply to Vista? I did a quick search and it appears not (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001), although the info could be outdated. I do occasionally use the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file to define certain domains, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. I think I'll do some more learning about this before I muck with the registry.

Anyway, most of my workflow is acceptable at the moment, it's really just Dreamweaver that's doing my head in. If I could fix that, I'd be okay. Maybe I should ask on a DW forum if anyone else has had a similar experience.