PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Broadband Strength

Craig Mellor
23-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Hi, I have a D-Link Modem/Router and have set it up to be wireless for my laptops. The Modem is about 5-10m away from where I am and was wondering if there is anything that I can plug into the wall to increase my signal strength. There aren't any nearby jacks so I can't move it any closer to me. Can anyone recommend anything if there is any anything? Thanks.

Ninjabear
23-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi, I have a D-Link Modem/Router and have set it up to be wireless for my laptops. The Modem is about 5-10m away from where I am and was wondering if there is anything that I can plug into the wall to increase my signal strength. There aren't any nearby jacks so I can't move it any closer to me. Can anyone recommend anything if there is any anything? Thanks.

If the laptop is 5m-10m away from the modem/router then I don't think you need anything to increase the strength of the wireless because it'll be at maximum strength .

Craig Mellor
23-06-2008, 09:34 PM
There are a few walls and doors between me and the modem and my strength is 'Low' at best. Isn't there anything I can do/get to make it my signal stronger?

wainuitech
23-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Where is the router actually located - Meaning is it on a desk that has no obstructions, not tucked in a corner some place, on the floor, and up as high as you can get it ?

5-10m is not good range, you should be able to get 20-30 easily in a house.

Make sure the aerial is upright and screwed in firmly, not lose.

Craig Mellor
23-06-2008, 09:40 PM
The modem is next to a tv and between me and it is 2 doors and about a 5m's walk. There are two houses on my property and the modem is in one and I am in the other.

Safari
23-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Try a longer phone cable connecting the router to the phone jack and place it somewhere else in the room, providing of course there is no other computer connected by ethernet to it.