PDA

View Full Version : CPU support for this mobo.

jason_f90
23-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey guys,

Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 Motherboard

I've got this mobo and I was just wondering whether it supports AMD's Phenom triple/quad core cpus. I'm planning an upgrade soon so I need to know whether I need to get a new mobo too.

I checked the Gigabyte page and it claims to support them but I haven't seen this anywhere else.

Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
23-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Why would it be anywhere else? If it says it supports it on the GB site, they should know, they made it

You may have to update the BIOS first, before it'll actually work

It may also depend on the revision of the mobo

wainuitech
23-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Generally speaking, if you checked on the Gigabyte Web site (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2507), it lists the CPU's that work, as long as the Phenom CPU you want to use is listed, theres no real reason why it wont.

If the one you want to use is not listed, then you may have a problem.

jason_f90
23-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Well for a start it doesn't mention anywhere in the manual about Phenom processors, most likely because they weren't released back then. Most likely like you suggested a BIOS update would be needed.

This is a Socket AM2 motherboard by the way and from what I heard AM2 and AM2+ are the different in theory.

wainuitech
23-06-2008, 06:27 PM
manuals don't always list the CPU's as they can only be upto date from the time of Printing - but the site usually is.

The link provided in my post, is more than likely the same place you said you looked on the gigabyte site. The CPU's that work ( or meant to) are all listed, including the Phenom 's that do.(down the bottom)

Also read what's on the site regarding the board ( in Red)

*Note: If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support List" for more information.

jason_f90
24-06-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm currently eyeing a Phenom 9500 on Trademe. Regarding the system bus speed being downgraded, how much of a performance difference will there be and in what (games, CAD, etc) ?

SolMiester
24-06-2008, 09:45 AM
You will have to do some research buddy....google is your friend.