PDA

View Full Version : Can't access Fat32 drive from windows XP but CAN boot from it

Agent_24
21-06-2008, 06:22 PM
PC dual-booting WinME and XP Pro, two seperate hard drives, one Fat32 one NTFS

Fat32 drive (winME) got corrupted somehow and would not even boot (just hung computer) so used fdisk /mbr and ran scandisk now I can boot from it but windows XP still detects it as RAW and refuses to read or run chkdsk on it

What's going on here?

Agent_24
21-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Change that - WinME seems to only start in safe mode

wainuitech
21-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Windows ME AWHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :lol: Brought many a Tech to the point of :waughh:

Open XP control Panel, Admin tools/Computer management/Storage - Disk management - Double click the drive ( ME) See if it reads the drives contents of the drive.
If XP cant read it thats because a raw device refers to an unpartitioned or unformatted drive, the fact it loads in safe mode means some part of the drive is not playing nice any more.
Windows ME could have gone belly up and needs to be replaced, if able copy the data off and reinstall or replace with 98 if you have a CD / product code available.

NEVER tried this with ME, but from the XP 's My computer, right click the ME drive, properties/tools tab/Error Check Disk - make sure any data is saved from the ME drive first - I have no idea what will happen.

wainuitech
21-06-2008, 06:58 PM
OOPS double posted :o