PDA

View Full Version : Laptop & wireless problem

Cptn Hotshot
21-06-2008, 11:51 AM
I have this older Dell Latitude Csx500XT (P3 500hz) 128mb RAM running Win98SE. I have connected to it a PCMCIA Netgear Wg511 wireless adapter.

This issue I have is that it connects to my WAP and onto the internet. Connection time lasts about 6 minutes and then the connection seems to stop.

When this happens, the laptop continues to show an IP address and when checking the WAP it shows that the laptop is connected to it using the same IP address. The laptop does not freeze at all ... I just cannot access any other web page and the browser eventually times out. The only way to get the laptop back online is a shutdown/reboot ... and then back on for only 6 minutes.

I have tried 2 different cards and I get the same result after the 6 minutes. Have even used a USB dongle as well and the same occurs. I have ensured I have all the lastest (available) drivers for the laptop and the device manager shows all hardware is working fine with no conflicts

Any help in identifying the issue and a likely fix would be appreciated. I dont want to spend big $$$$ on the laptop but it has given me a challenge to find why it is doing what it is doing.

SolMiester
21-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I was going to say the adapter has issues, however you have stated you have tried 2, therefore its either the router or the laptop.as you have tried a USB device also, i would assume their is a problem with your AP device....can you try a wired connection to see if that drops?...or take the laptop to a friends place who has a wireless connection and see if it drops off there too.

Cptn Hotshot
21-06-2008, 04:24 PM
The AP is fine and I dont believe there is an issue with that since have 2 other computers in the house that can connect wirelessly no problem at all and neither drops their connection.

The old laptop does not have an inbuilt ethernet port so am unable to test out a wired connection.

It wouldnt be a lack of RAM would it, but I dont see why it should be ... program applications like OpenOffice etc work fine without issue?

Any other ideas?

Cptn Hotshot
23-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Bump

Can any experts lend a hand here? Am still none the wiser and cant pin the issue down

Thanks.

MushHead
23-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Just curious...

Are you still accessing the WAP direct from the laptop, or is the whole connection dead?

Is there any difference between your IP settings before & after the 6 minutes? Compare the IP, gateway, DHCP & DNS settings with winipcfg. You may see a difference between the output of "route print" from a DOS box also.

A Team
24-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi, Hotshot.
I encountered a not dissimilar issue a couple of days ago with a D-Link Modem / Router and a very old Toshiba Tecra 8000 with a D-Link DSL-G630 card in it. The laptop could 'see' the wireless network, but would not work. D-Link (and others) have told me that WPA (encryption) is not compatible with Win98SE. So if I want to use the laptop wirelessly, I'd have to use WEP (which is really no security, at all) or nothing which is as bad. Hope that helps.

Cptn Hotshot
24-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Mush Head ... the connection is still accessable (so says winicpfg and ipconfig ... as does the WAP ... and nothing changes). It just cant communicate anything on the net until I reboot.

A Team ... yeah I read a bit about that too and maybe that is the problem. I found people talking about another card's driver that can correct that (WPA-PSK/TKIP) on Win98SE and it is Buffalo's Client Manager 2 (v2.1) and works on 3rd party cards .. but for the life of me I cant find it. I wont use WEP so I guess that is the end of it then? Did you find a resolution?

A Team
24-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi, Hotshot. No I have not found a resolution. D-Link (in my case) say that WPA does not work with Win 98SE (or Win 98). However, I'd be really interested to see if Buffalo's Client Manager 2 (v2.1) works! If we can find it!!

Cptn Hotshot
24-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Hi A Team ... google "Client Manager v2.0.zip, 2.8 Mb" and there is a nice French site that has it.

In my case it didnt work ... I swapped the Netgear card after finding no luck with it for a Belkin F5D7010 (which I read elsewhere worked) .. and that conked out after 8mins.

Hope you have better luck with it than me. If by chance you get your one to go, drop a new post on PF1.

Oh, well .... time to give up and buy a cheap wifi enabled pc from Trademe.

A Team
24-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi, Hotshot. Found it! Thanks. I've installed the Buffalo software. Didn't work, automatically. Rebooted, after disabling the D-Link driver I had. How do you force the card to work (not with its proprietary driver, but) with the Buffalo driver? Then I tried to reconfigured the D-Link Configuration program to use WPA-PSK. Still didn't let me. I'd like to be sure I'm actually doing it right. Any idea?

Cptn Hotshot
24-06-2008, 10:03 PM
A Team ... that is where I got lost too. I hope there are some more knowledgeable PF1'ers about that can assist us here 'cos I cant see any drivers to link to once the Client Manager is installed. :groan:

A Team
26-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi, Hotshot. I've tried everything; Tried to point the card to the Buffalo driver using Device Manager;
Deleted the D-Link proprietary driver to try and get P n P to pick up the buffalo driver;
Reinstalled the proprietary software hoping it'd interface with the Buffalo driver.
Situation is still the same. The D-Link wireless card can see the wireless network, but will not connect on a WPA basis. Reversion to WEP (virtually no security) allows full connection. Nothing gained. Let's hope another member can help us to a point that Win98SE allows WPA with wireless.
Cheers.

Cptn Hotshot
02-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I havent been able to get any further with this issue. It is obvious the problem lies within the bowels of Win98SE. There is something 'behind the scenes' shutting down the connection to the wireless card, even though the WAP can see the laptop's IP and MAC address.

In my case I do not believe there is a conflict with WPA-PSK/TKIP and Win98SE since I can get a connection to the WAP with the WAP's security enabled ... be it for the 6 or so minutes. I also tested the situation by disabling the WAP's security and inbuilt forewall but there was no change and the connection still lasted for the 6 minutes. Also disabled the laptop's firewall but no change.

The other odd thing is that others I have spoken to know of others with Win98SE on laptops connecting to WAP using similar adapter cards without issue.

So if there is an IT guru with Win98SE experience who can help out with the issue I would appreciate it. :help:

A Team
02-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Me, too! Cheers.

prefect
20-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Got exactly same problem dlink dwl-g30 old toshiba sattelite lappy on w98se.
After reboot needs adapter pulled out and put back in and run utility.
Also conks out after about 10 minutes althought other computers on network still browsing
Any w98 eggspurts here?