PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Excel issue

Billy T
20-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I have had a happy relationship with Excel for years but all of a sudden I seem to be striking problems. My latest issue is this: I produced a graph, and across the bottom of the window were the usual tabs to go back to the source data and any other additional working sheets I may have produced.

That tab bar has now vanished, leaving me no way back to the source data. The original data was suppled from India and I don't know what version of Excel was used but I suspect it was quite recent and I am using Excel 2000. Notwithstanding that, I saved the original data in Excel 2000 anyway then developed this graph which was fine until earlier this afternoon when the source data etc vanished.

I fiddled around for a while then gave up when I couldn't get it back, but it suddenly reappeared again earlier this evening while I was searching through the options again. I quickly saved it and thought that was the end of it, but on looking again a few minutes ago the tabs had vanished once more.

Can anybody throw some light on this? If I don't find an answer I'll have to recreate the graph, which is not an overly onerous task, but it could turn into a Ground Hog day scenario so I'd prefer to find a permanent solution if I can.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

the_bogan
20-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Sorry Billy, I haven't dealt with graphs like you're describing before, (I'm more used to dealing with formulae, if anything)

If you trust me enough, PM me and I can give you an e-mail address which you can send to me.

jwil1
20-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Have you tried opening it in Excel 2007 or 2003?

(I have 2007 - if you want me to have a go at opening it PM me :) )

Could be a corrupt file. You could try copying the data off into a new SS and recreating the graph if it's feasible.

Also, is there an option when right-clicking on the graph that says "Go to source" or something? Maybe... hallucinating again... :waughh:

wotz
21-06-2008, 07:12 AM
There will be a data source option on the right click. Have you somehow created a chart in a new workbook and the data is in another?

Parry
21-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Hi, hard to tell without seeing the workbook but by your description it appears as though the workbook may have become corrupt. I can't think offhand of any other reason to lose the link to source data unless macros are running which are causing the delinking. Assuming theres no macros, I would save a copy then try repairing the original by performing the following action...

1) Open Excel (do not open the target file yet - just an instance of Excel)
2) Select File | Open and find the file and select it but don't click the Open button yet.
3) You will notice that there is actually a drop down menu attached to the Open button - click on the arrow
4) In the options that appear select Open and Repair.

regards,
Graham

PaulD
21-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Google is your friend, well it is mine anyway. Searching on "excel workbook tabs disappear" brings many hits including this one http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=12219

Seems more like a sizing issue than corruption.

andrew93
21-06-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm sure you would have tried this (but there it is anyway) : Tools > Options > View > Sheet Tabs

Did you know that even if the sheet tabs aren't visible you can still navigate between sheets using the Ctrl + Page Up and Ctrl + Page Down keys?

Andrew

Billy T
23-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks peoples.

It was a resizing issue!! Turns out I had inadvertently clicked on the wrong part of the file icon and that caused the problem. When I fixed it the first time I must have stumbled across the view/sheet tabs but I didn't click anything intentionally which is probably why I couldn't find it again.

Looking at resizing options led me down the paths of righteousness, and lo, the tabs appeared before me. :thumbs:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)