PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Issue

HornedRat
19-06-2008, 10:50 PM
I have recently upgraded my computer with these parts:

P5K Pro Motherboard
2 GB Coarsair Dominator RAM
550W Power Supply, Dual Core Processor
Eagle Nvidea Geforce 9600GT Graphics Card.

The problem I am having is that in certain older games (such as Warcraft 3) the screen menu buttons appear as a random black squares, the mouse pointer appears as a black square and the graphics don't load properly, if I open the game a second time without a restart. In newer games, this happens after a few hours of playing.

My Graphics drivers are the latest from the net and my games have the latest patches.

Any ideas what this could be would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

jwil1
19-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Have you tried reinstalling the games?

HornedRat
19-06-2008, 11:03 PM
I haven't tried reinstalling games it's done it to already. But some games it's doing it to I installed after the "upgrade".

jwil1
19-06-2008, 11:08 PM
It sounds like you're missing some game files or some are corrupt - uninstalling then reinstalling the game should replace any damaged/missing files.

HornedRat
19-06-2008, 11:12 PM
They worked with the old graphic card fine.. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

HornedRat
20-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Tried reinstalling the games, but the issue is still happening. I suspect it's the graphics card. Does anyone know why it might be doing that?

the_bogan
20-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Does this issue happen if you run the games in windowed mode, rather than full screen?

There is an issue with some of the older Blizzard games on Vista which might be related to your problem. Getting a Glide wrapper helped.

HornedRat
20-06-2008, 08:57 AM
I haven't tried Windowed mode, I only use Full Screen. It's not just Blizzard games. It also happens in Empire Earth 2 and Freelancer (It happens here before the game even starts the first time, even after a fresh restart). However I've never been able to replicate the problem in Diablo 2, Oblivion or C&C 3.

I'm not using Vista, I use XP, my mates all had massive troubles with Vista and Blizzard games when they upgraded their OS.

Driftwood
20-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Are you running the GPU at default settings?

HornedRat
20-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Excuse my ignorance, what's a GPU and what should I be doing with it?

gary67
20-06-2008, 09:55 AM
The GPU is your video card it stands for graphics processing unit as opposed to the CPU which is the Central processing unit

HornedRat
20-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Oh! I've never heard it called that before.

I haven't changed any settings on it, so it should be on default.

feersumendjinn
20-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Have you still got the old video card, try that (if its a pcie-16 card ;)), or the on-board video (if that mobo's got that).

dugimodo
20-06-2008, 03:07 PM
sounds a bit like a driver issue, or a fault with the graphics card.
If you have other games that work ok all the time it's probably not hardware.

You could try rolling back to an earlier driver, or open the video setup for the various games and try turning features on or of or adjusting levels etc. For some games turning on Vertical sync can help with screen artifacts - although this doesn't quite sound like what you describe. You can also try changing the double/ trible buffer setting etc etc

You can also play with 3D settings specific to each game under Nvidia's control panel.

The 9600GT is relatively new and it seems to me Nvidia take a long time to fix issues with old games when new cards are released, there always seems to be strings of posts on forums about games that don't work. Pick the game that you want to work the most and google something like "xxxgame 9600GT graphics problem " and see if anyone else has the same problem.