PDA

View Full Version : spyware doctor--the freebie

effie c
19-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi ,

When doing my Friday housekeeping I found Spware Doctor's "on guard" and Computer protection was only available by paying a sub.

This was not what I thought was in Wainui Tech's signature ( I had gone there and re installed S D from his signature, after uninstalling my own original version,for supposedly a later version)

From his sig/site etc I merely downloaded what I thought was the freebie, and found the above attributes not available. I re entered WT signature/site and found on the right side of the Spyware Doc webpage site was the "free" one - and it does offer the above--it appears identical at that to the one we get sent to

Sorry W T - I bet even you did not know that, and you are too valuable a source of assistance to leave your reputation in jeopardy, hence this letter, which I will e mail direct to you, in appreciation

Again apologies if I have opened my mouth at the wrong time

Please give feed back if need be

effie c

wainuitech
19-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Something happened a short while back with Spyware Doc Free version, When it updated to a new version, on some PC's it changed it to the paid / trial version, WHY? I don't know.

When I first heard of it happening I updated two of my workshop PC's. One went to the Paid/trial version, the other didn't. Both were off of the original install, the one that changed had a far bigger update/download.

What triggered the difference I have no Idea.

As a test at the time I had a customer PC that I had installed SD on, I ghosted the drive to test. I then did the update, that too changed to the paid one. I then ghosted the drive back - uninstalled the Spyware Doctor, rebooted, went back to the link in my own sig, and got a new download, which had changed to the version 5.5, installed that and its still running as the free version - then redone the link in my sig (same wording, just renewed the link).

As of today - 19th, they are still working fine. SO what triggered the change - I dunno, How long it will stay working I dunno :illogical BUT if it ever changes, I will certainly remove the link.

EDITED: What ever it was/is its done it again, while writing above I did an update, it changed on this PC as well to the paid one :angry

So removing the Link till I find out whats happening.

pctek
19-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Spyware Terminator is good too.........

Blue Druid
20-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Heh! I just called into PF1 to write what would have been almost a duplicate of Effie C's post. Major update (carefully avoiding the 'upgrade' option) and, bingo... she no longer work, papa! This is the second time the good doctor has done this to me so I won't be reinstalling. I'll try the other one in WT's sig instead! Unless anyone has any alternative or better recommendations?

Neil McC
20-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Heh! I just called into PF1 to write what would have been almost a duplicate of Effie C's post. Major update (carefully avoiding the 'upgrade' option) and, bingo... she no longer work, papa! This is the second time the good doctor has done this to me so I won't be reinstalling. I'll try the other one in WT's sig instead! Unless anyone has any alternative or better recommendations?

Ditto

nofam
20-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Yeah happened with a PC of mine too, but it's still the best anti-malware tool on the market, hands down. The fact it's free (I use the full version on my main PC) is just the cherry on the top.

effie c
20-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Hi all,

Looks like I am not just a silly old duffer after all :lol:

For what it is worth, after yesterday's many contributions and my own concern at losing a freebie---I deleted Spyware Doctor, that had been altered behind my back--and went to the original site and as per my first post, chose the "download now" on the right side of the s/d site screen and downloaded v 5.5.1.322----the, at the moment free, version, and it is working quite normally-for how long remains to be seen

As per Wainui Tech's reply as above and his now deletion of S/D from his signature, I think that the above specific code number could, yet, bypass the repeating upgrade alteration,that is causing havoc and still be free.

But, be warned, my mate had his pooter freeze 3 times before he deleted the version I have now installed---and went back to the "paid" version which only identifies spyware but will not remove it,as I see it

I am interested in Nofam's purchase of S/D- what would Nofam get more than that would be any different to the above

Can Nofam comment please?
;)

effie c

Blue Druid
20-06-2008, 10:22 AM
I was always impressed that Spyware Doctor always seemed to find stuff that both AdAware and Spybot S&D had missed. I'm not a wild net-surfer and not very rich, either. So a freebie that catches nasties and doesn't miss too many fits my bill exactly.

Both AdAware and Spybot S&D seem to have slipped in the ratings lately and had become so cumbersome to use that I had thought that a change might be beneficial.

It seems a shame that PC Tools use this underhanded way of trying to force people to upgrade to the paid version. While I am sure the paid version is an excellent product, I am averse to using an application from a company who uses what amounts to a dishonest marketing strategy.

I notice that SUPER Antispyware is very limited in capabilities compared with the 'professional' (paid) version. I'll take the month's free trial but in the meantime, hope I'll find something more suited to my needs.

Because it is in everyone's interests to keep PCs as clean as possible, one might imagine that things like legitimate malware and virus detectors could be provided universally free of charge in the public interest, their cost being subsidised by the sale of the developer's other products. I'm sure there must be something out there. 'Terminator' is next on my list!