PDA

View Full Version : Embed excel into company intranet

Gobe1
19-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi there, i have successfully embedded an excel spreadsheet into our company intranet but have been trying to find info (Google) on how to make that spreadsheet save any data that is changed.

Background info, just want a boardroom booking page that is readily available for all staff and the intranet is highly used so seems like the best place for it to go.

Is this possible? or too difficult for a newbie dreamweaver user

Renmoo
19-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Can't you... just ask whoever is editing the spreadsheet to save it after he or she has done with it?

Cheers :)

Erayd
19-06-2008, 10:11 AM
This isn't easily possible. To do something like this, you'd need (at the very least) IE6/7 and a custom ActiveX control, or else a Java application that understands Excel files.

A much better way would be to import the information into a database and do the updating via a webpage.

Both of these approaches are far beyond what a newbie Dreamweaver user could expect to be capable of (both methods require a decent knowledge of programming / web scripting). If you want to try anyway, the database/webpage approach is by far the easier one.

[Edit: Remember to watch out for concurrent updates - you don't want one person's changes to be overwritten by someone else editing at the same time.]

rossnixon
19-06-2008, 11:15 AM
If the spreadsheet has simple formulas, you could try an online spreadsheet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_online_spreadsheets

beeswax34
19-06-2008, 11:52 AM
It would be much better for you to use something that is already online such as Google Docs and embed that into your webpage. That means that your file is always stored online and it supports multiple users/saves.

Gobe1
19-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks Bletch Nixon & Beeswax, i never thought of an online approach, that could be the easiest option also.
Trying to get staff to save to a spreadsheet would be like trying to get them to fill out the "Boardroom Booking Notebook" which is located beside the board room...It just doesnt happen
Cheers everyone

Graham L
19-06-2008, 01:35 PM
They'll use a computer booking system when they won't use a notebook? There's a simple cure for that. Those who don't book the boardroom get to hold their meeting in the carpark. ;)

Gobe1
20-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Ha you are probably correct on that one also..
I have checked out Google Docs and with users having to login just to put their name on a list will happen less often than it does now.

Just trying to make everyones job easier makes mine 300% harder

I will use that as a quote if you dont mind, cheers Graham L

Parry
21-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Background info, just want a boardroom booking page that is readily available for all staff and the intranet is highly used so seems like the best place for it to go.

Why isn't the boardroom simply a resource that you can add to a calendar booking? Seems strange that your company does not use have resources on the mail server.

This isn't easily possible. To do something like this, you'd need (at the very least) IE6/7 and a custom ActiveX control, or else a Java application that understands Excel files. I don't understand the logic here. An ActiveX control is not needed - simply access rights to the file on the server.

hth
Graham

Erayd
21-06-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't understand the logic here. An ActiveX control is not needed - simply access rights to the file on the server.

hth
GrahamThe ActiveX control would be needed to edit the excel file from within IE, and to save the result back - last time I looked, IE did not natively support editing files in-place on an HTTP server. Come to that, I don't think any other browser supports this either.

The same thing could be achieved with a Java applet.