PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Irritant

Amicus 400
19-06-2008, 09:01 AM
I am one of those people who does not need to be told that a file with a .DOC extension is an MS word document.

What I usually do need to know is which file is the most recent in the folder. However, when I open the file dialog the date/Time information is usually to the right of a category called "file type". I can get rid of this on an ad hoc basis by right clicking on the category unchecking the "file type" option.

However, I have not discovered how to make this option permanent.

I would be grateful if anybody could tell me how to permanently banished this category.

wainuitech
19-06-2008, 09:53 AM
This is prob not what you want, BUT if you are in the Details Mode (from View) you get all the files listed, on the right is several options you can select as you said, right clicking the bar brings up a option menu, if you tick "Date Created" it lists all your files in the order they were created, by clicking the wording "Date Created" it either arranges them newest at top , or newest at bottom, depending on what you want.

To remove the dates displayed you simply right click on the bar and untick "Date created" - that removes the Text, until you tell it to reappear. If its not disappearing then someone has locked the folder options to allow changes.

BUT any new files created wont automatically be put in order, until you make the text visible again and click the "Date Created" , or right click in the folder, Arrange icons By - Modified.

Erayd
19-06-2008, 10:37 AM
...However, I have not discovered how to make this option permanent.

I would be grateful if anybody could tell me how to permanently banished this category.

After setting things up the way you would like: Tools>>Folder Options
Go to the "View" tab
Untick "Remember each folder's view settings"
Click "Apply"
Click "Apply to all folders"
Click "OK" to close the options box
All explorer windows will now default to the settings you just chose.