PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Raid types on same disks?

pico
18-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi all,

I am wanting to build a simple back up server for my data. I'm not going with a NAS system because I want to be able to do a few other things with it. At the moment I am trying to spec it out and had a question about Raid arrays.

I want to use hardware raid so that I won't have issues if my OS falls over etc. But I want to know whether I can partition the disks to run some of the disks in mirroring mode (raid 1) and some in striping mode (raid 0). Thats because some data I want to have redundancy for back up purposes and the rest I want performance. Does anyone know whether this is possible for onboard raid controllers?

autechre
19-06-2008, 09:17 AM
That all depends on the RAID controller. I'm pretty sure the ICH9R controller on recent Intel-based boards will allow this. You can set up 2 disks in RAID0 & 2 in RAID1.
That said, any onboard RAID is software, not hardware based. All processing is done by the CPU rather than the RAID controller.

nofam
19-06-2008, 09:29 AM
If you have enough bays (and $$$ for disks! :p ) why not just go for a 4 disk setup, with two smaller drives in RAID 0 for your OS (striping for the performance boost), and another two larger drives in RAID 1 (mirroring for data protection).

If money isn't an issue, get some WD Raptors for the OS array.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, I don't think you can have two different logical arrays on one set of physical drives?

Wainui? Wrat? pctek? Sol? :help:

wratterus
19-06-2008, 09:32 AM
If I'm understanding your question correctly, I don't think you can have two different logical arrays on one set of physical drives?

Wainui? Wrat? pctek? Sol? :help:

That would be right I think! :blush:

The question was rather confusing!

Heres (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels) the RAID wiki.

pico
19-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. And sorry if the question was a bit confusing. I wanted to run 2 physical disks with one raid partition striped and one partition mirrored.

autechre: I did some further reading and found out the same thing as you've noted that all (well most consumer level) raid systems are software based. So I might not worry too much about the hardware as I am intending on running Ubuntu and Linux has the capacity to run disks in raid format without and special hardware (as I understand it).

nofam: Good ideas but money is a slight concern. I am hoping to be able to build the whole system for around $700. If the system was going to be utilised heavily I would probably spend more on it.

My concern now has turned to the motherboard I need because I want to be able to run virtual servers. I want to run an Intel chip and apparently I need a Q35 chipset on the board to be able to enable Intel Virtualisation Technology. I might start a new thread to see if anyone has any recommendations.