PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having probs with Vista's firewall being off everytime you reboot?

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2008, 08:03 AM
I've got a laptop here (not mine), with Vista Home basic on it

I uninstalled some version of Symantec IS last night, since it's got Avast on it.

And a few other programs (Realplayer, and others / games the person has never used/played).

Anyway, everytime you reboot this thing, the firewall is off. Turn it on, reboot its off again. I did a scan last night, with Trojan remover, Malwarebytes Anti-malware and nothing.

But Avast picked some virus up in memory, but it didnt say WHAT it was.

So it rebooted, and did a scan before booting into Vista. It still didnt say what the virus was. So, I dont know if it had a virus or not.

So, any idea on how to get the firewall to stay on, in Vista?? I've read a few sites in Google, but none have an answer.

One says if Onecare is installed (I cant see it), this includes a firewall, and will shut Vista's firewall off.

However its got Defender on it, does this include a firewall??

I wouldnt have a clue, I dont use Defender (from what I saw on this laptop, there wasnt much to choose from )!

And I dont use Vista.

I see why people complain about UAC in Vista, its bloody annoying popping up all the time !

I thought Comodo and ZA were bad !

CYaBro
15-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Is there a Firewall service in Vista like XP? - Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)?
If there is is it set to Automatic?

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Thats a good question, I'll have to find out WHERE it is first !

I'll check Gogle and see where is it

wainuitech
15-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Several things to try - make sure the Firewall service is running as CYaBro said.

Two of These suggestions are copied from a site I found:

Check Windows Firewall Services to see if it is set to automatic.
Start/Administrative Tools/Services and find Windows firewall near the
bottom.

After further investigating I found where the Windows Firewall defaults to off
if you have your network settings to private in network settings. When using
a router Windows expects the router firewall to do the job.

make sure you run the Norton Removal tool, dont just depend on its own uninstaller - as we all know its crap - From Memory i had that problem once, and it was bits of Nortons left over causing the problem.

To turn off UAC - click start, in the search bar type in User, click User Accounts, then click Turn user Account control on or off, untick the box - A reboot is required after. Then go into the security settings in the control panel and locate on the left the options to change the way windows warns you - select the Do Not warn - ( or words to that effect) its the bottom one from Memory, other wise you will get a damn warning all the time that the security is turned off.

That "Virus" would be a bit sus - may pay to try Nod32 - I'll have a look as I have a program here that may tell you what it is - as soon as I can remember where I put it :(

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2008, 09:58 AM
It wasnt until I uninstalled Windodws Live messenger, that Avast picked up this virus in memory. (When Avast picked it up, all it said was C:\Program well that tells me heaps NOT)!

Every other program, I uninstalled, was fine. Avast didnt complain.

Thats a good point I did see that under network settings it is set to private.

He's definitely not using a router. He would have to go thru me.

And he's not. (And wont be, while Limewire is on it :lol:)

I'll get the removal tool now. And see if that fixes something.

Also, if SP1 has been installed would it say SP1??

I checked under about in the computer thing like my computer.

All it says is 6000. No SP1. And under Windowsupdate, theres's no mention of SP1 waiting to be installed. I didnt see it in the part where you uninstall programs either.

wainuitech
15-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Edited To Above: OK Bugger- the one I use in XP wont work in Vista. But I did findThis one here (http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/download/t-free-process-master-download-xmtozrbi.html), called Process Master, it lists all the processes running - may "find the Virus". Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Example1213481572.jpg)

To check for the version, right click Computer on desktop or start/then on the menu on the right, then Properties and you will get This window (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/SP11213481761.jpg) SP1 highlighted.

As you can see by the PC's spec's its a real grunt machine -:lol: and runs vista fine - it only struggles on games.

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Cool, ta for the info WT ! I shall check it out once he's gone

Just have to remember what version of NIS was on it for the tool. Hopefully the removal tool doesnt care

wainuitech
15-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Cool, ta for the info WT ! I shall check it out once he's gone

Just have to remember what version of NIS was on it for the tool. Hopefully the removal tool doesnt care No worries mate - I dont think it does matter, last time i got it i went - ennie meenie minie mo :D then got the latest.

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Hmm ok well, I tried that removal tool 2006 - 08, it probably removed the symantec/norton stuff. It didnt fix the firewall.

The firewall stayed off on reboot. Checked the service, the firewall is on auto.

Thought if I disabled file sharing it would fix it, it bu no it didnt.

Checked to see if SP1 was / is installed, it isnt.

And dont know why Vista doesnt say Vista needs updating, or at least show SP1 in updates.

So, will SP1 fix it?

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Well decided to get SP1 took about 20 mins.

Installed it, it rebooted 3 times, its fine, but the bloody firewall still wont turn on lol. Now what?

After I reboot and go to the firewall, it says its on, for like 3-4 seconds.

Then turns off. So, its not having SP1 thats the prob and its not Nortons stopping anything

sal
15-06-2008, 09:33 PM
If you have access to the Event Viewer in Vista Home Basic (Start > type "event viewer") have a hunt around in there for any information about Windows Firewall being turned off after boot. You can create "Custom Views" which are filtered views that might make things easier.

Attached file: event_viewer-firewall.png (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/event_viewer-firewall.png) (19 KB)

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Cool ta for that Sal, I just found a site where someone fixed it (similar prob), by updating Windows defender. I may try that too. And see if it works.

I've also just posted a thread in a MS Vista newsgroup. I'll see what they say in there as well

wainuitech
15-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Are you sure onecare is not installed ?

Found this that may help to see - go to Control Panel> Security> Check this computer's security status, See if Firewall shows up in green.

If it is - Click the down arrow to display "Windows Live OneCare reports that it is currently turned on."

Remove Onecare - from control Panel / Programs and Features.

Cant Vouch for these instructions as I 'm not in front of a Vista PC, but you can also try turning off the hopeless Windows Defender ?? maybe
If you'd like to disable Windows Defender in Vista—perhaps you've got another spyware system that works better— tech blog Nuts and Milk has a dead simple tutorial on how to accomplish this. Here we go: get into Windows Defender, click on Tools->Options, select Administrator Options, and uncheck the Use Windows Defender box. Confirm that you do indeed want to do this, click Close, and you're all set.

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Onecare isnt in Programs and feattures.

I checked earlier tonight, before and after installing SP1

I'll have a check under security tomorrow, the guy who owns it is back now and probably gone to bed. Its in his room

Ok, i'll try turning defender off as well, see if it makes a diff. No harm in trying it

Sherman
15-06-2008, 10:34 PM
After further investigating I found where the Windows Firewall defaults to off
if you have your network settings to private in network settings. When using
a router Windows expects the router firewall to do the job.

If the windows firewall is turned on, it still monitors the "private" network as well (at least mine does).
And to speedy, it should definitely stay on after a reboot, can't think of why it wouldn't

I must say that the windows vista networking can be an absolute pain in the arse sometimes - especially if you have multiple network adapters :(
My problem with it is the public/private thing. Basically if windows detects a public network with any controller, it turns of network discovery/filesharing for ALL network adapters, which is fine if said computer is a laptop at a public wifi hotspot. The problem is if Vista can't figure out the network (say it has no default gateway) it lumps it under "unidentified network", which is always public, and CANNOT BE RENAMED!! And if you make unidentified network private, it get reset to public again on reboot.
This problem affects most virtual network adapters, in my case my openvpn adapters. :(

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Well its not on any network, or anything.

And it wont be connecting to this unless I remove Limewire.

It has got WIFI and ethernet tho

So it wouldnt really matter if file sharing is on or not. Theres noone to share it with lol

lol well I KNOW the firewall is MEANT to stay on thats the prob, it wont.

I've also noticed that after I uninstalled Windows Live messenger, I cant get rid of the entries for it in the firewall. Delete is ghosted.

Maybe there's something suss there, as I've deleted that and Yahoo on this before (After I've uninstalled them), in XP's firewall before, no prob at all.

I'm not trying to get Networking to work since its not going to be connected to anything. I just want the firewall to stay on !

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Ok, disabled defender, rebooted made no diff, firewall didnt stay on

Created a custom view, called it firewall, rebooted it logged jack lol - nada

I've just noticed that if I go to control panel / windows firewall with advanced security.

And select any of the bottom options (one of them being diagnostics and troubleshooting) it says MMC has detected an error in the snap-in and will unload it. I'll see what this means now

beeswax34
16-06-2008, 06:11 PM
XP time :lol:?

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I might just do that BW.

Its not my laptop tho, and c has bugger all on it at the mo (32GB), there is another partition called data, about the same size

I would have to check and see if there are drivers for XP, if the guy wants XP

I even reset the firewall, it got rid of the windows live messenger entries I couldnt delete lol. But the bloody firewall still wont turn on