PDA

View Full Version : Sound card for sound recording

qazwsxokmijn
13-06-2008, 09:39 PM
A friend of mine has requested me to build him a PC mainly for graphics, movie making, some gaming and sound recording. His work is amateurish, so we don't need anything too high-end, though he has settled for a quad core Q6600.

I've settled for Q6600, 4GB RAM, 9600GT, 2x WD 640GB HDDs (1 internal, 1 external) and a Gigabyte G31 mobo. It's got onboard sound, but I'm not a pro in the sound field.

Will it be good enough for amateur sound recording that will decently capture sound clearly etc?

Speedy Gonzales
13-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Yup, any onboard soundcard is good enough for clear sound

OTOH, if he wants to be more technical / fancy and wants optical, he'll have to buy a separate card with optical in/out and RCA in/out. If he wants the works

vitalstatistix
13-06-2008, 09:50 PM
What's his budget and how much emphasis has he got on gaming, like is it 60% gaming and 40% graphics and video editing or 60% video editing and 40% gaming?

qazwsxokmijn
13-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Cheers guys. He's got $1500 max, and sourcing parts from a couple of different shops I can squeeze everything to around $1420. Well, now minus 90 because I don't need a sound card.

Speedy Gonzales
13-06-2008, 09:58 PM
If he's into video editing, the sound will only be as good as whats been recorded. (If its from a DV cam or something)

If what he records is static/crap it'll be crap after

qazwsxokmijn
13-06-2008, 10:06 PM
So long as the sound card does a decent job, he would be happy. He's not looking at those Hollywood systems. I think he just wants to make some homemade movies if you know what I mean.

rob_on_guitar
13-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Realtek is good to use as a cheap mixer and can add a fair bit of use to recording/panning etc,

vitalstatistix
13-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the budget guideline. :) What video editing software is he looking at because he will need to budget around $200 for something like Adobe Premier Elements if he doesn't already have editing software since you can get decent audio editing software for free online. If he does already have video editing software then don't worry about it.

qazwsxokmijn
13-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey VS. He's got some free software from his work, so all he needs now is hardware.

vitalstatistix
13-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Sounds like he is well sorted then :) :thumbs: Not sure why he has gone for the Quad core with only 4GB of RAM though as that is only 1GB per core ?? RAM is more essential for video editing than for gaming. HD set up sounds fine.

beeswax34
13-06-2008, 11:15 PM
My friend also makes amateur movies and record music for some religious groups and he has a setup very close to what your proposing and he is more than happy with it though he uses Ulead for basic video editing etc

Nice speakers come with this PC?

qazwsxokmijn
13-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Sounds like he is well sorted then :) :thumbs: Not sure why he has gone for the Quad core with only 4GB of RAM though as that is only 1GB per core ?? RAM is more essential for video editing than for gaming. HD set up sounds fine.
Yeah we might get him a 64bit XP or Vista, his choice, to upgrade later to 8GB when budget allows. But for now he'll have to make most of the 3.25-3.75GB he'll get with 32bit XP.

Bees: naw, speakers are still crappy generic ones. Again, when budget allows we'll get some nice Altec or Creative ones. Or are you looking to donate? :lol:

vitalstatistix
14-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Yeah we might get him a 64bit XP or Vista, his choice, to upgrade later to 8GB when budget allows. But for now he'll have to make most of the 3.25-3.75GB he'll get with 32bit XP.

Bees: naw, speakers are still crappy generic ones. Again, when budget allows we'll get some nice Altec or Creative ones. Or are you looking to donate? :lol:

What video editing software does he currently have from his work?
The existing RAM limitations from XP shouldn't be any issues if he is only playing around with amature video editing. It's only when you get into the pro side of things that you really need to go over 4GB and a quad core but if I was doing that I wouldn't bother with a PC.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Well youre not exactly going to do hollywood CGI graphics / stuff are you?

1 GB is more than enough for video editing, all youre doing is transferring video/audio and (maybe) adding titles to it.

Then maybe burning the finished video to dvd. Then you dont need a PC after that. You play it in a normal DVD player

beeswax34
14-06-2008, 06:57 PM

I wish lol. Though I did get the Logitech X530? 5.1 channel, Dolby Surround Sound with 5 speakers and a subwoofer for only $70 last week!

qazwsxokmijn
14-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Well youre not exactly going to do hollywood CGI graphics / stuff are you?

1 GB is more than enough for video editing, all youre doing is transferring video/audio and (maybe) adding titles to it.

Then maybe burning the finished video to dvd. Then you dont need a PC after that. You play it in a normal DVD player
None of those hardcore graphics.....I'm not quite sure to what extent he'll do graphics to, but he'll be using photoshop quite a bit. Besides, RAM is dirt cheap these days.

I'm hoping I can banter with Ascent a bit and have it a bit cheaper....anybody had experience negotiating prices with them?

forrest44
15-06-2008, 12:08 AM
If you're serious about recording you'll want to avoid integrated sound and also want to avoid consumer orientated cards like Creative Audigy, etc.

Go and find a card aimed at recording, not gaming.

M-Audio Audiophile Delta 2496 is a good example, I got one new for $255, but you can probably get them cheaper on trademe. It has stereo RCA in, stereo RCA out, and SPDIF in/out, plus a MIDI connection.
It won't play games but it'll offer way better quality than a standard card..

Have a search on google for brands like Motu, the M-Audio Audiophile series, Emu, Hammerfall, Lynx, etc...
Google is awesome for this sort of stuff :D

But yeah a standard sound card is not going to let you down unless you're really keen on quality and have expensive speakers to tell the difference :D :D