PDA

View Full Version : Power cut stopped my pc, PS shot?

Strommer
13-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I have removed the leads from the power supply to the mb and other bits inside the case. 240 v to the power lead: ok. I get 5 volts (5vsb) on one of the wires of the 20 pin plug going to the mb, and I get 60 millivolts on one of the wires of the 4 pin plug to the mb. No other voltage detected on my multimeter but I wonder if the ps does not get fully activated until it is switched on from the button on the front of the case?

PS: Hyena DR-B300ATX.

PC specs: P4 at 3 Ghz, ASUS mb, nearly 5 years old.

The power cut lasted for 20 minutes in some parts of our town but there was only a flicker at my house. I was using the pc at the time and it went dead at the same time as the power flicker. Fax machine beeped and lights flicked. I have two surge protectors to the pc, connected in series - I needed extra power points and it seemed a good idea at the time to connect the two surge protectors together; they still deliver 240 v and their red lights are still on - I cannot recall if the red lights indicate that the surge protectors are OK or if they are shot.

Do I need to replace the ps? How can I tell if the ps is dead? Cannot see or smell anything wrong with the ps. The PC is dead, nothing goes at all.

Speedy Gonzales
13-06-2008, 01:15 PM
I would use something better than 300W for a P4 3 ghz

Battleneter2
13-06-2008, 01:18 PM
First Comment is Hyena is pretty much the worst PSU on the market.

Swapping in another PSU confirms or eliminates.

If you are a little more technical minded, disconnect all power leads to the PC mobo hdd etc. On the PSU power connector to the motherboard, use a small wire to jump the green pin to any black ground pin. If the PSU does not start then its a dead PSU.

PS, a "true" 300watt may be perfectly fine for a P4, depends what you have in the rig

wratterus
13-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Yep, Battleneter has the right idea. That PSU is a heap of crap too, good opportunity to upgrade.

pctek
13-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Hyena DR-B300ATX.

Do I need to replace the psu?
You sure do. Seriously bad reputation, even if it wasn't dead I'd throw as far as I could.

Strommer
13-06-2008, 02:34 PM
On the PSU power connector to the motherboard, use a small wire to jump the green pin to any black ground pin. If the PSU does not start then its a dead PSU.

:yuck: Hyena - yeah, I KNEW it would be trashed here - I recall another thread last year that rubbished Hyena PSUs.

If I need a new PSU, I'll be up for suggestions. I run a DVD drive plus a CD drive. There is still a floppy drive but I don't use it anymore. Have two HD's. Not a gamer. Have a 128 mb Radeon graphics card. I never did like the Hyena because it made too much noise while running so it would be nice to get a quiet PSU, and I wonder if any have a built in surge protector?

If it turns out that I need a new MB, then its a whole new ballgame. Might consider a basic upgrade box but would like to use the current 120 and 80 Gb HD's. But I am getting ahead of myself.... its probably just the PSU.

OK, I found the green wire and the blurb on the PS confirms that it is the ON lead. Gotta run now but will jump it to a black pin (or why not the metal case?) and see if the PSU starts. Back in an hour or so.

Thanks everyone!

SolMiester
13-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Hyena.....LOL..hahahahahahahah!

Everytime someone buys a Hyena PSU, the supplier cackle...hehe

Sorry mate....nuf said

Strommer
13-06-2008, 04:01 PM
If you are a little more technical minded, disconnect all power leads to the PC mobo hdd etc. On the PSU power connector to the motherboard, use a small wire to jump the green pin to any black ground pin. If the PSU does not start then its a dead PSU.

THE PSU STARTS - jumped the green to a black as you said. Using the multimeter I now get 12, 5 and 3.3 voltages on various pins.

Bugger. Was hoping it was just a blown PSU.

Now what do I do?

wratterus
13-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Bugger, I was too. ;)

I'd try plugging it in again, resetting the BIOS and seeing if the PC powers on.

Also unplug everything unnecessary from the mobo (cd drives, hdds, card readers, etc) and try again, as a power surge can sometimes damage those components and cause them to prevent the PC powering on.

if it still doesn't go, mobos dead, but I wouldn't be sure of that without trying another PSU anyway.

Strommer
13-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Bugger, I was too. ;)

I'd try plugging it in again, resetting the BIOS and seeing if the PC powers on.

Also unplug everything unnecessary from the mobo (cd drives, hdds, card readers, etc) and try again, as a power surge can sometimes damage those components and cause them to prevent the PC powering on.

if it still doesn't go, mobos dead, but I wouldn't be sure of that without trying another PSU anyway.

OK I kept everything unplugged but connected the 4 pin and the 20 pin leads to the mobo. PSU now works. After a few seconds I heard the usual beep a pc makes when starting up.

I can keep it connected and take it to my desk and connect the monitor - to reset the BIOS (not sure how to do this) - is this what you mean?

Or should I simply cut the power and then reconnect... but what?

[Edit]

I connected the monitor and it says: "Reboot and select proper boot device."

wratterus
13-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Don't worry about resetting the BIOS.

Hold down the power button to turn the PC off, then plug everything back in, turn it on and it should start and hopefully boot up.

Get a new PSU anyway though. :thumbs:

Strommer
13-06-2008, 05:02 PM
:) AMAZING - it boots up and all looks OK now. What exactly happened?

I reconnected everything except the floppy (which did not work anyhow).

OK, I am open to suggestions for getting a new PSU. Don't want to spend heaps though. Sometime I may upgrade my mobo but for now the P4 3Ghz ASUS does just fine.

Gotta leave for work now. Back later tonight.

Thanks for the help everyone. I am happy my trusty desktop is now OK but it is puzzling how I got it working!

wratterus
13-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Amazingly, its very common. I see it all the time.

If you'd unplugged it for a day and plugged it back in, it probably would have worked too.

I don't know a lot about it, but basically draining all the power from the PSU and the board (often after a power cut/brown out there's 'dirty' power left in capacitors etc) and leaving it a few minutes will allow it to boot again.

More often than not, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the hardware.

For a entry level PSU, something like this (http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360843) this (http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=362502) or this (http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=351664) would do the job nicely.

You'll be able to find cheaper, but Ascent has excellent after sales service and free postage. :thumbs:

utopian201
13-06-2008, 06:41 PM
thats awesome that it works again. I cant imagine the amount of hardware that has been replaced under the impression it is faulty. If you upgrade your mobo, won't you need to upgrade everything else too?

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still using a 6 year old Athlon 1800+. Does everything I want except play the latest games and HD content :)

rumpty
13-06-2008, 08:42 PM
:) AMAZING - it boots up and all looks OK now. What exactly happened?

I reconnected everything except the floppy (which did not work anyhow).

OK, I am open to suggestions for getting a new PSU. Don't want to spend heaps though...

I would suggest a Hyena PS, but then there's nothing wrong with your present Hyena, is there?

This computer I'm using right now has its original Hyena supply, from about seven or eight years ago, - all I've had to do is replace the fan. Go Hyena, a great power supply!

Burnzee
13-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Steve

Now you have everything up and running again, you should really consider buying/installing a decent surge protector. Your current surge protectors are really not up to the mark. If they are the type I think they are, trying to protect sensitive computer equipment with them is an act of faith. From your brief description my guess is they are simply single outlet types with a red led. This led indicates they are ok and ready to protect??. Power Sentry and various other names were used to market these elcheapos. They are simply a one component (MOV's) box that is little better than nothing. Connecting two together really adds very little to the overall protection.

Surge Protectors are hotly debated here on Press F1. Many reckon they are crap and don't work. Most times this is due to a similar experience to yours. The Surge Protectors used were crap to start with. Others of course, are entitled to have their view but as you have probably gathered, I'm all for them. My desktop, lappie and axillary gear was saved by them when a tree fell across the power lines. Other stuff like cellphone chargers, microwave, fridge, radios etc were history. Fortunately, the stereo, tv etc was not on at the time but the freezer relay contacts were welded together!!

My Surge Protectors were made by Intaract, at the time available from Dick Smith. These are a Six way Multiway Boards and protect the phone wires as well, thereby protecting the modem etc.

If you want to get see the debate on Surge Protectors, click HERE (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=80055&page=2&highlight=burnzee).

BURNZEE

Agent_24
14-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I would suggest a Hyena PS, but then there's nothing wrong with your present Hyena, is there?

This computer I'm using right now has its original Hyena supply, from about seven or eight years ago, - all I've had to do is replace the fan. Go Hyena, a great power supply!

I'd love to know the state of the capacitors in that thing... actually I wouldn't - it would probably traumatize me for the rest of the week... :yuck:

pctek
14-06-2008, 10:31 AM

You own one Hyena. Lucky you, it didn't blow up.
We people that deal with hundreds or thousands of PCs though see that far too many Hyenas do. Which makes them crap.

Don't advise people on ONE or two you may have seen work OK, when you see the total failure rate of loads of them, then you can juddge.

Coolermaster do some decent cheaper ones.

Agent_24
14-06-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm in a similar position to rumpty, I've got 2 of the things and both are still "working"

1 came with my first computer and the other came with a case I bought

BUT: I don't use either of them and most of the secondary side capacitors in the first are bulging - which means they have failed. If I had the equipment I'd measure the ripple, but as a good guess it's probably not within spec anymore (if it ever was!)

Truth be told, I did use the first one for quite a while (didn't know how bad they were) until I upgraded and started getting error messages from the nvidia drivers that my card (a 6600GT) wasn't getting enough power.

I researched and after finding how bad hyenas were I upgraded to a thermaltake, and then later on, an enermax..