PDA

View Full Version : Formatting floppy disks

05-05-2001, 01:37 PM
Whenever I try to open the A Drive I get the response that the floppy disk needs formatting. The disks are already Windows formatted. Even when I use disks I have previously used successfully I still can't open the drive.
What have I done and how can I fix it? Hope someone can help me.

05-05-2001, 02:45 PM
Hi there Margaret, it sounds like a driver problem - how to fix that I'll leave for someone of the guru variety, but lets start the process anyway:
If you have another system, check to see if that system is able to read the floppy disk.
If you are having problems reading the disk in Windows 9x, then restart Windows 9x and boot into the command prompt only (hit F8 during startup for 95, or hold down the CTRL key for 98) and see if you can read the disk.
If you're able to read the disk in command prompt mode, but not in Windows 9x, then most likely it's caused by an application or driver you are loading in Windows 9x.

05-05-2001, 03:00 PM
To narrow down the problem, there's one other trick to try. Boot into safe mode (press Ctrl or F8 on startup depending on your system) and go into the Device Manager. Choose the controller for your floppy disk drive. Click the Remove button to remove the controller from your configuration. Reboot your PC and allow Windows to redect your controller and drive.

05-05-2001, 04:00 PM
Thanks, John and Paul.
Tried your suggestions but no joy.
Have just noticed in BIOS Setup that 'Swap Floppy Drive'
is disabled.
Is this correct, if not, how do I enable it?.
Thanks, Margaret

08-05-2001, 01:27 AM
This is probably a hardware failure. First check to make sure nothing is stuck in the drive which is preventing the drive heads moving to the read position. The most likely canidate is the sliding sleeve of a floppy disk. Alternatively the FDD could have died a natural death. Try it on another computer, or try another one on yours.