PDA

View Full Version : Adding a few lines of text by default on an webpage email link.

John W
12-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi there

Im using Frontpage and Im wondering how I can go about adding a few words of text to the Body of an email link on a Webpage.

I have the Subject matter sorted out,and Ive seen it done in Emails before where pre-worded text sits in the Email body, just cant workout how to do it in Frontpage, or the correct way to do it in code.

For example,
<a href="mailto:meandyou@xttra.co.nz?subject=I want to attend the AGM next week">meandyou@xttra.co.nz</a>
Does the Address & subject lines just fine, how do I add text to the body.

Thanks

John in Mosgiel.

davehartley
12-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Copied from here (http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html):

Add entry in the "Body" field:

body=Your message here

Within the body use "%0A" for a new line, use "%0A%0A" for a new line preceded by a blank line (paragraph)

Hope that helps :)

John W
12-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the link, BUT it doesnt work.

I guess I'll have to find an Email link where text is already pre-entered into the body and view the code.

John.

davehartley
12-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Hmmm... I've just tried it and it works ok for me ... here's my code:

<a href="mailto:someone@somewhere.com?subject=Hello There Everybody&body=Here is some text">Email me</a>

Is this similar to what you had?

sal
12-06-2008, 07:29 PM
I'd say it'd come down to support (mailto:someone@somewhere.com?subject=Hello There Everybody&body=Here is some text) from the email client.

Edit: The above worked in Thunderbird 2 for me.

John W
12-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Ive managed it, While this link is pretty good, like lots of ideas and suggestions, if you want to add text to the Body, you need to add a & not the ? they suggest in the Link page

http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html

Thanks to all who replied.

John.

sal
12-06-2008, 08:58 PM
...if you want to add text to the Body, you need to add a & not the ? they suggest...

In URLs, a "?" separates a path from a query string and "&" separates name/value pairs. For example in -

mailto:steve@me.com?subject=Hi Steve&body=Just catching up

- the path is blue, the query string is green and the names of each name/value pair is underlined.