PDA

View Full Version : Telecom or electrician?

Greg
11-06-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm staying at my mum's place in an outbuilding. It's about 20 metres from the house. I've just had my PDQ broadband activated by TelstraClear and want to use it from my flat.

I need a phone socket installed which would be connected to the house. Should I get an electrician to do it or ask Telecom?

Or... should I be looking at getting a second line installed (which I would struggle to afford)?

Thx.

PaulD
11-06-2008, 12:18 PM
How do you expect the cable to be run to the outbuilding?

If you are short of cash but useful, there's no reason you can't do it yourself.

wratterus
11-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Get a moster long ethernet cable mun, and leave da modem in da house?

Dat would be da cheapest option! :)

This (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showpost.php?p=682285&postcount=9) explains why I am talkin like an idiot mun!

hazza87
11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
It would be cheaper and easier to just put the modem/router in the main house and then just run an Ethernet cable down to the flat, you could get a 30m cable for less than $30. Unless you really need the phone line to plug in a landline. In which case Telecom do this service for a set fee, cant remember how much it is though, If you get it with a sign up deal you could probably get it cheaper. The whole home wiring (gets you a separate jack for broadband only costs $150 when signing up).

pctek
11-06-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm staying at my mum's place in an outbuilding.

I need a phone socket installed which would be connected to the house. Should I get an electrician to do it or ask Telecom?

That sounds rather grim, an outbuilding.........

DIY the phone jack and wire. Not hard, you can get the little tool from DSE as well to punch the wires down with.
Get neither if you can't DIY, just look up ads for guys that run this sort of cable.

A Team
11-06-2008, 01:49 PM
If you were to DIY, be aware that the telephone cable will likely have to be enclosed in plastic conduit and buried. Cheers.

robbyp
11-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm staying at my mum's place in an outbuilding. It's about 20 metres from the house. I've just had my PDQ broadband activated by TelstraClear and want to use it from my flat.

Or... should I be looking at getting a second line installed (which I would struggle to afford)?

Thx.

Wouldn't you contact telstra to install it for you, as that is one of the things they do.

kjaada
11-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Do you really need a phone socket or to connect yr puter to the broardband in the house ?
Phone socket will give you phone only and you will then need a filter and router in yr room.
But if you have BB in the house then all you require is a BB cable from the router to yr puter.
Dick Smith has cables up to 30mtrs (I think) and will make one to requested lengths.

Metla
11-06-2008, 04:07 PM
I have a 40m ethernet cable and a similar length telephone extension cable running out to my shed, Works sweet as, I even used the phone extension for dialup in the past and it worked solid, as good as in the house.

Greg
11-06-2008, 04:52 PM
I have a 40m ethernet cable and a similar length telephone extension cable running out to my shed, Works sweet as, I even used the phone extension for dialup in the past and it worked solid, as good as in the house.
Metz... take a drive down here and do it for me? I promise you and yer missus and kidlets a meal you'll never forget!

dugimodo
11-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Bear in mind normal ethernet cables & telephone extension cables are not intended for outdoor use and will not be a good long term solution. They break down from UV and are not completely waterproof.

If you dig a small trench and either get proper external cable and/or make a conduit from some 20mm pvc pipe available from a plumbing supplier that would be far superior. the pipe would protect the cable form accidental cuts from people digging holes etc.

If you would like to pay someone a sparky can do the job and is probably cheaper, but the telecom contractors ( chorus now actually ) are better qualified for this type of work. Your call, most likely either would be fine.

Either way if you do some of the work yourself it should make the job cheaper.

somebody
11-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Metz... take a drive down here and do it for me? I promise you and yer missus and kidlets a meal you'll never forget!

Dannz lives in Napier.

Metla
11-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Bear in mind normal ethernet cables & telephone extension cables are not intended for outdoor use and will not be a good long term solution. They break down from UV and are not completely waterproof.

Sure thats not what they are designed to do, But hell, Mine have been there for a good 4 years, when they fail I'll replace em. They are pinned up under the guttering, and only completely exposed where they are suspended between the house and the shed.

plod
11-06-2008, 07:45 PM
WIRELESS.

Check out dicksmiths, wireless modem (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/484f7661046f9d68273fc0a87f3b06f4/Product/View/XH1319) and adaptor (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/484f7661046f9d68273fc0a87f3b06f4/Product/View/XH1268), all for less then $200. Set up in 10min

Agent_24
11-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Running a telephone cable would be medium difficuilty and price, but you might find your connection speed/quality is bad

Running a LAN cable on the other hand would be easiest and probably cheapest, and you'd have no problems with speed/quality

Wireless might also work but you might not get a great signal and it would be more expensive

beeswax34
11-06-2008, 08:30 PM
WIRELESS.

Check out dicksmiths, wireless modem (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/484f7661046f9d68273fc0a87f3b06f4/Product/View/XH1319) and adaptor (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/484f7661046f9d68273fc0a87f3b06f4/Product/View/XH1268), all for less then $200. Set up in 10min

Kinda expensive. It might be better just to get a long Ethernet cable and use that. Quality and speed would probably be the same.

plod
11-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Kinda expensive. It might be better just to get a long Ethernet cable and use that. Quality and speed would probably be the same.

I'm sure if Greg was to look hard enough he could get a lot cheaper.
Requires no effort.

PaulD
11-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Running a telephone cable would be medium difficuilty and price, but you might find your connection speed/quality is bad

Running a LAN cable on the other hand would be easiest and probably cheapest, and you'd have no problems with speed/quality

Wireless might also work but you might not get a great signal and it would be more expensive

Explain why adding 20M to the distance from the exchange would affect speed/quality if done with proper cable.

If by LAN cable you mean something with just a plug on either end, it might be cheaper than having to buy a jackpoint but the ease would be no different.

Wireless is more expensive to start with then you have to secure it.

Trev
11-06-2008, 10:19 PM
:)

Renmoo
12-06-2008, 05:50 AM
Dannz lives in Napier.
Quoi?

How did Dannz come in? Did you mean "Metz"?

Cheers :)

sroby
12-06-2008, 10:43 AM
You may end up getting a nasty earth loop, voltage differential between
the earths on the main house & the outhouse

http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID2/1748.html

SolMiester
12-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Greg, you're in Napier now?....you get the cable, I'll sort ya!

Metla
12-06-2008, 12:05 PM
I think SolMiester should do the work, and I'll just rock up later for the mean feed.....:D

Poppa John
12-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I think SolMiester should do the work, and I'll just rock up later for the mean feed.....:D

Let us know when you are going & you can take us with you!!! PJ :thumbs:

sam m
12-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I agree with wireless although an ethernet cable would give less hassle.

If this is a temporary situation then I would first think about what you are spending the money on and future proofing your purchases. For a wireless router at a guess about $60 - $100. Of course there is the cost of a wireless adaptor if your computer is not wireless capable. This you can take with you when you outgrow the outbuilding (I hope this isnt a converted outhouse :horrified ). If you invest in ethernet cable and time digging it underground then its hardly likely you would take it with you. Phones - buy those twin cordless phones. Main unit in the house and the secondary in your outbuilding (surely we need to call this something else... how about sleepout). Again cost of doing this would be a better investment as the phones too can go with you when you move out.

I would guess that the cost of getting someone in to do the wiring installation would be in the several hundreds unless you dig the trench and supply materials.