PDA

View Full Version : RAM Upgrade

B.M.
11-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Iíve just bought a brand new stick of 1GB RAM to upgrade my computer from 512 Meg.

However, the new RAM, although clearly marked One Gig on both Packet and Stick, is only reported as 512 Meg by the BIOS. :confused:

Question is whether the BIOS is correctly reporting, or whether some adjustments are required?

Motherboard is an ASUS P4S800-MX SE and the RAM 1GB Silicon Power DDR 400.

:thanks for any guidance.

stormdragon
11-06-2008, 11:29 AM
There's a BIOS update (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P4S800-MX%20SE) regarding memory showing incorrectly.

B.M.
11-06-2008, 12:08 PM
There's a BIOS update (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P4S800-MX%20SE) regarding memory showing incorrectly.

Thanks, but looks like I've got the latest update. :groan:

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2008, 12:23 PM
So 0708 is the latest version that you've got (besides the beta 0902)?

kevin7904
11-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Are you using both old 512mb and 1gig stick together?
If that's the case, you should see 1.5gig available.
Or using just 1 gig stick and bios reporting as 512mb?

password
11-06-2008, 07:06 PM
This may sound very strange but what what of vid card you have? I heard somewhere that one cards take some ram of its over 1gb... Im not sure if ia applies but its worth a try...

B.M.
11-06-2008, 08:03 PM
From the top.

Yes Speedy, the motherboard is more recent than the 708 flash.

Yes Kevin, I've tried running the RAM in conjunction with another stick but then the computer wouldn't even boot.

Password, the computer has a seperate NVIDIA video card.

Personally I think the RAM is faulty so I shall ask for a replacement.

:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2008, 08:12 PM
After you flashed it to the beta version then, did you reset the BIOS to its default settings, and reconfigure the BIOS?

B.M.
11-06-2008, 09:22 PM
After you flashed it to the beta version then, did you reset the BIOS to its default settings, and reconfigure the BIOS?

No Speedy, I didn't flash to the Beta version because I couldn't find what it fixed and I figured the risk of stuffing the whole thing to cater for some rare Raid Array or somthing that wasn't causing me a problem wasn't worth it.

Had they said the flash was to solve RAM recognition problems I would have taken the risk.

What does the Beta flash fix? :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Well what version of the bios did u flash then / is on it now?

As it says on the link Stormdragon posted, 0402 says:

P4S800-MX SE Release BIOS 0402

Revise CPU Fan speed low limit to "1200 rpm" and other Fan to "800 rpm".

Adjust Vcore high/low warning limit by CPU type.

Fix SATA HDD always show UDMA Mode 5 under WinXP.

Fix AGP Fast Write in bios menu can't enable/disable issue.

This

System information-> Physical memory will show incorrect memory size under WinXP.

But the latest is 0708 (not counting the beta)

Bantu
12-06-2008, 06:44 AM
A couple of things I would try before returning it.

Try each stick of ram on its own and check they both work.

Also Try different slots for the ram.

Once in run memtest32 (Google for it, free test app)

One of my boards I had one ram slot die and regardless of how I moved the ram about if anything went in that slot I had problems.

B.M.
12-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Right, from the top again, the BIOS Update 0402 is dated 22/6/2005. The Motherboard BIOS is dated 6/1/2006 so I assume that problem had been addressed at time of manufacture. :confused:

Also, the boot up splash screen that flashes up prior to Windows loading also reports the RAM as being 512MB.

Iím a bit of a scardy cat when it comes to flashing BIOSís and especially scared when apparently flashing backwards. :blush:

I also tried the RAM in a Socket 478 HP TriGem Glendale Motherboard with a 400MHz FSB and it wouldnít boot at all. No beeps, no screen, nothing. Removing the RAM and rebooting the Computer produced 3 short beeps in a continuing series which is what I expected.

Also, I thought Iíd try MEM test on the computer that did boot but it would only get as far as the DOS screen which appears when it starts to boot off the Floppy and the whole thing would go blank and hang.

And to answer Bantu in the same post the computer has worked fine for ages on two sticks of 512MB RAM, but that RAM was only 333MHz and I thought I would upgrade to one stick of faster RAM and use the other two sticks elsewhere.

As I understand it the ASUS P4S800-MX SE board has a 800MHz FSB and is made for DDR 400 Memory.

I must admit this is the first time it has been asked to run at full speed but we mustnít loose sight that another computer wouldnít even boot. Admittedly the other computer only has a 400MHz FSB but I figured the memory should just clock down to accommodate the FSB.

Soooooo, thatís where weíre up to. Iíll have a lazy $ itís faulty RAM. ;)

Speedy Gonzales
12-06-2008, 10:27 AM
It doesnt matter what the dates say, what version of the BIOS appears on the post screen?

If the BIOS version on the post screen doesnt say 0402 or above you'll have to update the BIOS to fix this ram problem.

If the BIOS is showing 512 mb, and there's 1 GB in the slot, if the BIOS isnt 0402 or above, it'll show 512 until you update the BIOS.

Then you'll see / know if its a BIOS prob or a ram prob.

Depending on the speed of the CPU on the triglen, and whether it can take DDR400 (it doesnt sound like it can, since it wont boot with DDR 400 ram)

Whats the speed of the CPU in this ASUS??

It will run at DDR 400 speed (dual channel, if you have 2 identical sticks of ram). If the CPU is 800 fsb (since the mobo supports 800 fsb).

If the CPU is only 533 mhz, if you have 2 (identical) sticks of ram, it may run @ 266 speed. To match the speed of the CPU.

If you try and run a system, (if the CPU is only 533 mhz, and youre trying to run it at DDR 400 (in dual channel mode). it wont boot. You have to change the speed in the BIOS to 266.

B.M.
12-06-2008, 12:36 PM
:confused: :confused: Right Speedy, this could take me a wee while to get my half frozen brain around. :confused:

In the meantime, for your consideration, are the specifications for both machines courtesy of Everest.

Starting with the Asus:

Processor: Genuine Intel 2.4GHz Socket 478.

FSB Properties:

Bus Type: Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64bit
Real Clock 133MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 533MHz
Bandwidth 4267MB/s

TriGem:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4A 2.6 GHz Socket 478

Bus Type: Intel NetBurst
Bus Width: 64bit
Real Clock 100MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock: 400MHz
Bandwidth: 3200MB/s

Iím working on obtaining more BIOS information but will send this off before I re-boot.

Oh, what is this duel channel mode? There is only one stick of RAM in the DIMM0 slot.

B.M.
12-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Back Again.

From CMOS Setup.

BIOS Version 0801
Built 01/06/06

So guess that answers the BIOS question.

I had a look right through the CMOS setup and I've never seen such a simple one. Most everything is Auto or Enabled with the exception of capturing interupt 19. Only needed for PCI cards that have their own ROM according to the brief explanation.

In short there is very little that can be adjusted within the CMOS setup. Unlike some of the early ones. ;)

Speedy Gonzales
12-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Hmm, there is no 0801 update on the ASUS site.

Is this (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/PICT00011213234554.jpg) where you got that 0801 from ?

Reboot and press the pause button on the post screen.

The pic isnt your mobo, its mine, its just an example of the post screen and the where the BIOS version appears

Dont worry about dual channel mode in that case, you cant use it unless you buy 2 identical sticks of ram, and your mobo supports dual channel ram

B.M.
12-06-2008, 02:49 PM
No Speedy, the information came from the BIOS setup utility itself under System Information.

Like Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/BIOS1213239531.jpg)

B.M.
12-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Ahhhhh, caught it.

Awful photo but it's ver 0801 alright.

Photo (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/BIOS2.jpg)

Speedy Gonzales
12-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Hmm ok

Odd. I still dont know where 0801 came from

Altho it may have been off the ftp site, which sometimes doesnt appear on the ASUS site

Agent_24
12-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Often Asus will release BIOS on production boards but not actually release it as an update on their site (for some reason, I do not know)

They also delete old BIOS too after a while I think

Beta BIOS is generally not something that's likely to trash anything, they usually are just trialling a new fix/tweak/feature - though it's probably not your BIOS that's the problem

I reckon the stick may be faulty or incompatible (too high density possibly) maybe similar to this post (taken from asus forum):

I want to upgrade my RAM from 1gb to 2gb. I purchased 2 x 1gb sticks of PC3200 PC2700 PC2100 DDR RAM, with CHIP DENSITY: 128x4 (High Density). One stick works fine but the other doesn't. The seller tells me the RAM is not compatible with my motherboard because it is high density. I would believe this if they both didn't work, but as one works and the other doesn't, I am not sure.
My question is: is this RAM compatible with this motherboard?

No. What is probably happening is that one stick is using up all the available memory banking. In such a case, two sticks would not work. If one stick works alone and the other does not work alone, I would suspect a faulty module.
I have actually never seen a desktop mainboard that was compatible with X4 density memory chips...this is generally slower server memory.

What exact memory did you buy? (do you have a model number/specifications?)

B.M.
12-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Often Asus will release BIOS on production boards but not actually release it as an update on their site (for some reason, I do not know)

They also delete old BIOS too after a while I think

Beta BIOS is generally not something that's likely to trash anything, they usually are just trialling a new fix/tweak/feature - though it's probably not your BIOS that's the problem

I reckon the stick may be faulty or incompatible (too high density possibly) maybe similar to this post (taken from asus forum):

What exact memory did you buy? (do you have a model number/specifications?)

Very interesting Agent.

Well, I'm only using one stick of RAM so I guess we're running half throttle.

Unfortunately, I didn't write down the details before I posted it back to the retailer who has agreed to replace it given it came with a lifetime gaurentee.

It was also advertised as being 100% compatible, so I guess the Manufactures were confident their product.

We'll see how we go with the new stick so I'll let you all know. :thanks

B.M.
16-06-2008, 09:55 AM
OK, the retailer stood by his word and the replacement RAM arrived this morning.

Plugged it in and we had lift off. 1gig registered and everything working fine.:thumbs:

Just one of those things I guess as the faulty RAM came in a sealed box so it was new.

Anyway, this whole experience has raised another question. :)

What is the best programme to test RAM like this with?

Will the old Memtest386 v3.0 do the trick or do we need to get a little more up market? :confused:

Agent_24
16-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Memtest86+ (Based on Memtest) has the newest version (v2.01)

http://www.memtest.org/

B.M.
16-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Memtest86+ (Based on Memtest) has the newest version (v2.01)

http://www.memtest.org/

:thanks