PDA

View Full Version : Blurry Digital TV3 quick question

RusEvo
10-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Hello,

As many of us using digital know, there can be a problem where TV3 has massive motion blur (whilst other channels are fine).

I am lead to understand that you can fix this somehow by either downloading something or by somehow telling the graphics card to do the decoding or whatever of the signal instead of the CPU.

Can anyone help this noob or at least point me in the right direction, I remember reading about it but have not been able to retrace my steps (I had spent a while just getting the sound going).

Thanking you in advance:clap :banana

By the way
8600GT
AMD Dual Core 2.1 x 2 64+ 4000
Asus M2A-VM HDMI
etc etc

RusEvo
10-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Eek its running 60-90% of the CPU just to watch TV.

I think the key is hardware acceleration through H.264 decoding.

Also its XP not Vista.

Sherman
10-06-2008, 09:02 PM
The problem with TV3 is the fact that it's interlaced. Software deinterlacing sucks compared to what hardware deinterlacing can do. (this is what's causing all the motion blurring etc.)

The problem is, that by the looks of things Powercinema doesn't do H/W acceleration by default. There is a thread here (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=83&TopicId=22139) that reports some success on getting it working. Unfortunately for you, those instructions were written for Windows Vista, and so will most likely not work :( To have even a remote chance of the mentioned fix to work on Win XP you will need to install .NET 3.0 (from Microsoft) which will enable EVR and DXVA2 for windows XP.

Your only other option may be to get PowerDVD 8 (Deluxe or Ultra) which DOES do HW acceleration easily and use it's decoder in a program like MediaPortal or GBPVR. I will leave it up to you to decide how you'd might go about getting PowerDVD... :p )

EDIT: Actually downloading PureVideo HD from NVIDIA may also work, although I don't know as I don't have a NVIDIA card myself (I have an ATI card, which is even worse for NZ DVB-T)

Hardware acceleration of H.264 is messy business. :(

RusEvo
11-06-2008, 08:35 PM
I have been to that thread and had a look at such settings.

Funny thing is that my card is both ATI & NVidia at the same tme.

For me Mediaportal would see the Digital T card, only the Digital S & Analogue, so thats out. Whereas GBPVR would get channels but would not be able ot even watch them. Thats why I need to get Powercinema going!!

Would a CPU upgrade help if indeed the CPU is forced into more work? Not that thats a solution I want when I have a perfectly good 8600GT.

So your saying its easier & better in Vista?

RusEvo
11-06-2008, 08:41 PM
No the card is Nvidia but ATI control Centre seems to control things.

Sherman
11-06-2008, 08:46 PM
It might do, I just don't know enough about PowerCinema to be able to help you too much sorry. Your best bet may be to ask on a place like geekzone.

With GBPVR you must make sure you select an H.264 decoder (Not System Default!!) before you can get a picture. In your case it would probably be the cyberlink powercinema decoder.

Sherman
11-06-2008, 08:49 PM
No the card is Nvidia but ATI control Centre seems to control things.

You should also have the NVIDIA control panel or something that came with the Forceware drivers with the card. I'm not sure if the ATI catalyst control center should even be installed if you're using a NVIDIA graphics card, as you would have disabled the ATI graphics that is on your motherboard.

RusEvo
11-06-2008, 11:25 PM
HHmm I shall have to find out....ATI Catalyst Centre loads up off its own bat (and everything has been peachey until now so I didnt question).

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Yup I dont think you're meant to have ATI and Nvidia drivers installed

Its one or the other

RusEvo
12-06-2008, 12:17 AM
I have Catalyst Control Centre, I can find no similar program for Nvidia.....

BTW I just did the Powercinema AAC Patch, for some reason the blur seems to have reduced but I feel I am sensing a general frame rate drop across many channels. I dont know why.

RusEvo
12-06-2008, 12:23 AM
And TV1 basically wont work.....I think I will undo that last change. Then I will find out how to get GBPVR or Mediaportal going. This seems like the smartest bet.

Sherman
12-06-2008, 12:40 AM
I have Catalyst Control Centre, I can find no similar program for Nvidia.....

BTW I just did the Powercinema AAC Patch, for some reason the blur seems to have reduced but I feel I am sensing a general frame rate drop across many channels. I dont know why.

What you should do is uninstall the ATI catalyst from Add/Remove programs. You should then go to the nvidia website and download the latest drivers (here (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us)). These drivers will update your current ones, and install the nvidia software. Note that you want the Geforce drivers only.

RusEvo
12-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Ive found I do have a Nvdia program running as well as ATI catalyst. So Im gonna nuke ATI!!!!