PDA

View Full Version : Problems ejecting USB HDD

Chikara
10-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi all,

Quite often when I'm using my USB HDD (a Seagate Freeagent Go), i'm unable to 'eject' it as it says the volume is still in use. It doesn't do this every time I eject it, maybe approx 50% of the time.

I have made sure all applications and windows are closed, yet still get the Windows error message. I've checked the properties for the volume, and it is optimised for quick removal (as opposed for optimised for performance).

I've also tried downloading and using a freeware program called 'unlocker' that supposedly shows any processes locking a file/folder/drive, and it lets you unlock them. I've run that and unlocked any processes shown, yet I still get the mesasge saying the drive can't be removed.
No virus checkers or anything similar were scanning at the time.

The portable HDD comes with software called Ceedo, which is quite cool but I wonder if that is somehow causing these problems? (yes I have made sure that Ceedo isn't running before I try and eject it)

Is it safe just to remove the drive anyway, if I've tried all these things? What else can I try so that it doesn't keep doing this, short of task manager and trying to stop all the processes one by one?

Oh - system is Win XP Pro SP3, Athlon 1400, 512MB RAM.

Thanks,

Tony

AvonBill
10-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Try using filemon to see if you can track down what might be open on the drive. A copy can be found at

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896642.aspx

Note that the site says that processmon is a replacement for filemon but I haven't figured out how to use it to monitor file opening yet.

Also see if USB disk ejector (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/) works.

Both of these programs are standalone and don't require installing on your machine.

beeswax34
10-06-2008, 09:16 PM
And you're doing this from My Computer?

Next time it gives that message, go to your Taskbar and try using the "Safely Remove Hardware" option and see if you still get the error.

Chikara
10-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Beeswax 34, nope, haven't tried from My Computer. What is happening, is happening when I either try:
a) click the 'eject' icon from the Ceedo window (window closes, says it's closing etc and then the message comes up after a minute); or
b) if I right-click on 'Safely Remove Hardware' and try and stop it that way. I thought that Ceedo must be the culprit, but I can't see it under the processes in Task Manager. Perhaps it runs under another name.

AvonBill, thx for the links, I'll give both of those a try.

Misty
11-06-2008, 06:48 PM
AvonBill, thx for the links, I'll give both of those a try.
Glad you are giving AvonBill's suggestion a punt Chikara -- how did you get on ?
I have tried unlocker in the past with my U3 but it did not work. There can be problems when you have Explore open - but since you have all windows closed it can't be that.
Misty :illogical

Agent_24
11-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Get yourself a program called "Unlocker" http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Then, you can just right click on the drive, click unlock and you should be fine

beeswax34
11-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Maybe you should try using My Computer to eject it. Some computers only eject when done from My Computer while some only work from the "Safely Remove Hardware" option.

Crazy I know but you have to find the option that works for you.