PDA

View Full Version : Backup, boot sector(?) problem in Vista

mattv
09-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi there. Forgive me if I get my terminology a bit wrong here - this is a bit new to me.

I have a PC running Vista Ultimate SP1. It has two hard drives, 1 500GB sata and 1 320GB IDE. The sata drive has a 40GB partition with the OS on, the rest for data. the IDE drive is full of data (movies, tv etc.)

It all works fine but I have a problem when I want to do a "full PC backup" using vistas in built backup tool.

Basically when I want to do the backup, it selects the 40GB partition which is correct but also the 320GB drive and there is no option to deselect it. As a result the backup would be around 330GB (uncompressed) instead of the 15-20GB that it should be. Presumably there is a "boot sector" (or something) on the 320GB drive that Vista is using and wants to backup, meaning it has to back the rest of that drive up too. Interestingly if I disconnect the 320GB drive, the computer still boots up fine and I can run the backup just fine with just the 40GB partition. That is an annoying process to go through whenever I want to do a backup though.

What I want to do is delete whatever is on the 320GB drive so that it just relies on the 40GB partition when booting. I don't really want to have to reformat the 320GB if I can help it, and it won't let me just delete the files as they are "in use"

Any simple solution?

Driftwood
09-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Re your 320GB HD if you want to delete the files on it, the easiest way is to reformat it.
Re backups. If you are doing it for security you would be better saving it to a different HD, ideally the 320GB.
Then if your main one dies you won't loose everything.

pctek
09-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Use a 3rd party program.

mattv
09-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Re your 320GB HD if you want to delete the files on it, the easiest way is to reformat it.

Would like to avoid that if I can - I don't have a big enough disc to backup all my files. They're not critical but it would be a bit of a pain to lose some of them. Might be easiest to get a new hard drive though I suppose.

Re backups. If you are doing it for security you would be better saving it to a different HD, ideally the 320GB.

I would like to do that but again I need to get the size down from 330GB to what should only be around 20GB

Use a 3rd party program.

Any suggestions pctek? Preferably free, that will do an OS image backup and not worry about boot sectors?