PDA

View Full Version : Problems dowloading

MPG
01-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi guys

For a number of years I have been happily using Norton's SystemWorks. Unfortunately it appears that a recent download of MS SP3 has screwed things up. I have been working with customer support and we have now reached the point where I must download the uninstall tool (no problem) and the upgrade file for SystemWorks 2008 (big problem). Unfortunately, I am using good old dial up and this file is about 223 Mb. I have had 2 attempts to download the file overnight but I simply can't maintain the connection for the period of time required. Any suggestions? I guess I may need to use a download manager. Any recommendations - free would be best?

Thanks in advance.
Michael

beeswax34
01-06-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm sure someone will be able to point you to a good download manager.

But just in case you can't download it in the end, get Avast AV. Its only 25MB or so.

MushHead
01-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Free Download Manager.

It's Open Source & therefore no annoying ads - a big plus compared to ones I've tried in the past.

rumpty
01-06-2008, 11:13 PM
In your situation I have used wget. If you lose the connection, the next time you download you can resume from where you left off, if the download site is set up for resuming.

Or try Leechget.

pctek
01-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I have been working with customer support and we have now reached the point where I must download the uninstall tool (no problem) and the upgrade file for SystemWorks 2008 (big problem). Unfortunately, I am using good old dial up

Ask a friend or relative with broadband to do it and put it on disk for you.

Although I'd just stop at the removal tool............

password
02-06-2008, 12:29 AM
If you use Firefox, i use Downloadthemall.

sal
02-06-2008, 01:35 AM
I'll second Free Download Manager, specifically FDM Lite (1.95 MB) which you can find midway down the download page (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm).

zqwerty
02-06-2008, 02:52 AM
http://tinyurl.com/2cqw7p

kahawai chaser
02-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Some popular download managers at snapfiles (http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/downloader/fwdown.html), including Free Download with user reviews...

Also for dial up, depending on your ISP and other factors, if you lose your connection, then connection keeper (http://gammadyne.com/conkeep.htm) to stay online might help...

MPG
02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks Guys for the replies. Will give it another go when I have the time to sort something out.

Thanks again
Michael

Speedy Gonzales
02-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Under the properties in the dialup / options, make sure idle time before hanging up is on never (it maybe on 20 mins).

This could be why youre disconnecting all the time.

MPG
02-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the info Speedy. I'm certainly not disconnecting "all the time". But it is annoying to go for >10 hrs and then have the line disconnect. I am considering switching to broadband but haven't figured out who to go with. I know that xtra get a caning in some forums but I wonder if that is because they are sooo big. Complaints, I suspect, come from < 1% of customers and most satisfied customers don't say anything. Maybe I'm wrong. From looking at several forums the vote presently seems to go to Xnet. However, I have seen that in the past - good reputations turns to custard when growth outstrips ability to service. Oh, well, maybe I should just take the plunge.

By the way, presently am successfully downloading the file I require (27% complete). Have interrupted it several times and it seems to be picking up OK. Decided to give Free Downlad Manager Lite a go.

Thanks to all for your help.
Michael

Speedy Gonzales
02-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Where in NZ are you Mike??

If youre in Auckland, where in Auckland?

Is this upgrade free? Or are you paying for it before you download it??

beeswax34
02-06-2008, 03:46 PM
MPG: Xnet is definitely the way to go.

MPG
03-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi Speedy & beeswax34

I live in Hamilton. By the way, I am using SystemWorks for system and disc maintenance not for AV. No, the upgrade was not free. I downloaded it some time ago and all was well until the latest updates from MS. A lot was downloaded and installed. I suspect the culprit was some component of SP3. Screwed something up with SystemWorks hence having to download and reinstall it.

This morning I find that the download has stopped - incomplete. It seems to be stuck at 67% (147/218 MB). For some reason it wont start again despite "resume support" being enabled. Doesn't seem to be a problem with my connection i.e. other things are working OK. The time has come for a call to Symantec's NZ office to get a copy of the update on CD.

Thanks beeswax for the recommendation for Xnet. That is my current thinking as well.

Thanks again guys.
Michael