PDA

View Full Version : To all student developers and designers

Blam
31-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Microsoft is offering professional level developer and design tools to students free of charge. All you need to do is sign in with your windows live ID and verify you're a student.

somebody
31-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Is this the Dreamspark thingy? My understanding is that it hasn't yet launched in NZ properly (although I think Auckland Uni may be trialing it??).

Blam
31-05-2008, 07:43 PM
here's the link, try for yourself!
https://downloads.channel8.msdn.com/

somebody
31-05-2008, 07:53 PM
"Who can get this right now?
We are kicking this off in 11 countries/regions, giving DreamSpark to millions of students in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, China, Germany, France, Finland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Belgium. If you are not residing in one of the countries listed keep checking back, we will be adding more countries throughout the year.

Does that mean that I might not get in?
Possibly, if you are not residing in one of the countries listed, not attending an accredited university or not a member of one of the student organizations that we're connected with. But keep checking back, as we're working on adding more ways to verify your student status all the time."

Blam
31-05-2008, 07:58 PM
k thanx

beeswax34
31-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Wait a minute, as Uni students we already get a lot of that software from free through MSDNA.

How is this different?

Sherman
31-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Wait a minute, as Uni students we already get a lot of that software from free through MSDNA.

How is this different?

In fact, we get all that and more with MSDNAA - Vista business, XP Pro, Windows Server 2003 Std & Enterprise, plus others (like Visio and Access).. need I continue?

sal
31-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Wait a minute, as Uni students we already get a lot of that software from free through MSDNA. How is this different?
I'd say it's more a heads up for those that don't know. Also note these software titles are usually an older version (2005 not 2008 in most cases).

somebody
31-05-2008, 08:29 PM

How is this different?

MSDNAA is only available to students studying courses in departments which have subscribed to the programme (they pay around $700/year for this) - most Computer Science/Information Systems departments in NZ subscribe to the programme.

Dreamspark offers only a subset of the programs available, but is accessible by ANYONE in participating universities, regardless of what they're studying, completely free of charge.

Blam
31-05-2008, 09:41 PM
I think the difference is that college students like me can't get this for free too not just uni students