PDA

View Full Version : I continuously keep getting disco'd from my home network

demoncleaner
29-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey guys,
I have a problem in that my comp keeps disconnecting me from my home network. It keeps telling me a "network cable is unplugged" then it tries to reconnect, which it holds for a few seconds, and disconnects again, repeating that process. It had starting doing this a couple months ago, just randomly disconnecting but it would always reconnect. Now I cant get on for any longer than 5 seconds. I've tried everything from different cables, reinstalled drivers for my network card, changed pci slots, reset my router and oh yeah...re-installed my OS even. What is weird though is that I can direct connect to my laptop no worries. The laptop connects fine to the network though, both wirelessly and cabled. Im running XP and the router is a Linksys WAG52.something...4 port..2 phone lines(sorry!:)....
cheers in advance!
Ron

wratterus
29-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Sounds like the ethernet port on your PC is on the way out.

Can you try another card? A PCI ethernet card is about $20.

SolMiester
29-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Hey guys,
I have a problem in that my comp keeps disconnecting me from my home network. It keeps telling me a "network cable is unplugged" then it tries to reconnect, which it holds for a few seconds, and disconnects again, repeating that process. It had starting doing this a couple months ago, just randomly disconnecting but it would always reconnect. Now I cant get on for any longer than 5 seconds. I've tried everything from different cables, reinstalled drivers for my network card, changed pci slots, reset my router and oh yeah...re-installed my OS even. What is weird though is that I can direct connect to my laptop no worries. The laptop connects fine to the network though, both wirelessly and cabled. Im running XP and the router is a Linksys WAG52.something...4 port..2 phone lines(sorry!:)....
cheers in advance!
Ron

Its the Linksys router, I have had 3 fail at the switch in the last 6 weeks.....get it replaced by your supplier....
You PC NIC is fine.....

wratterus
29-05-2008, 11:31 AM
What is weird though is that I can direct connect to my laptop no worries. The laptop connects fine to the network both wirelessly and cabled.

I dunno...

:confused:

Renmoo
29-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Loose ethernet cable, perhaps?

Agent_24
29-05-2008, 11:59 AM
If you can connect your PC to your laptop fine then they are both OK, which leaves only the switch, I'm with SolMiester on this one - sounds like he knows all about it!

wratterus
29-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Meh, I misread the question. :blush: :blush:

Thought OP meant he could connect his lappy direct to the router.

/cowers in corner

SolMiester
29-05-2008, 12:22 PM
I am having to re access my like for Linksys routers, I am now up to 4 V2 model switch failures....The wireless still works however the 4 port at the rear starts playing up then eventually fails completely

Agent_24
29-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Meh, I misread the question. :blush: :blush:

Thought OP meant he could connect his lappy direct to the router.

/cowers in corner

No you're right (I think)

From what I read he's saying that the Laptop could connect to router fine, the Laptop could connect to the desktop fine, but the desktop couldn't connect to the router

wratterus
29-05-2008, 12:59 PM

From what I read he's saying that the Laptop could connect to router fine, the Laptop could connect to the desktop fine, but the desktop couldn't connect to the router
:waughh: :lol:

If thats right then demoncleaner needs to try the same cable with router/desktop as router/laptop to completley rule the cable out.

After what Sol has said though, I'd be a little suspicious of the router.

Also make sure to use the same port on the router when testing - I've seen routers with 2 ports fine and 2 ports not working.

demoncleaner
29-05-2008, 01:50 PM

You got it Agent_24, I just cant get my desktop connected. The laptop connects fine even using the same cable.

SolMiester
29-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Is that same cable and same router port?, if so, maybe buying a $10 NIC is a good idea to rule out the NIC

Blam
29-05-2008, 05:44 PM
try updating the driver for the network adapter in device manager.
Run, then type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
Go into network adapters then right click the adapter you want to update then select "Update Driver Software".

Good Luck

wratterus
30-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Thats not going to help blam. Perhaps downloading a driver from the manufacturer's website might be worth it, but downloading a driver from Windows Update...thats more likely to make it worse! :p

Got any further demon?

Agent_24
30-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Is that same cable and same router port?, if so, maybe buying a $10 NIC is a good idea to rule out the NIC

But the NIC in the desktop should be OK, we know it connects to the laptop fine!

Perhaps it's something to do with speed settings?

Try going to the properties of the NIC and instead of using auto-detect try manually setting it to 100 Full Duplex

wratterus
06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
I dunno about anyone else - but I'm interested to know what the story is here! :p

Any more news, demoncleaner?

berryb
06-06-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm with SOL on this one. My original WAG54G did just that. Had 3 LAN ports used and one kept dropping off. Changed ports around and always affected the same PC. Got worse over time until one day all ports died. Replaced under warranty and had no problems. Upgraded to firmware 1.02.14 Pluto other day and still stable.