PDA

View Full Version : upgrades, which first?

02-05-2001, 05:09 PM
I am about to upgrade my system,but was wondering where I should start first. I plan to upgrade to a Iwill k266 motherboard with a Duron 700~900 CPU. Plus a new hard drive, a Maxtor DaimondMax vl 40, 40gig. Should I do the hard drive then the rest or vicer verser. At present I have a 3.2 gig seagate st33223A which I think will be ATA66, the new HD will be ATA100. I am getting the ATA100 cable for it as well. regards Grant

02-05-2001, 10:58 PM
It wont really make much difference which way round you do it, but I think it is probably best to upgrade the motherboard & CPU first, that way if you get your new HD and start from scratch (re-install your OS etc) it will nicely detect your motherboard and any on board features like the Hard Disk Controller etc. Whereas going from the old Motherboard to the new one, may cause detection problems. Although these are rare, they do occur when only slight differences occur in hardware configurations (like your old HD controller may be very similar to your new one) and it will use the wrong (or old)drivers

03-05-2001, 10:43 AM
if your hard drive is getting ful and u don't already have a spare hard drive, i would get the new hard drive first. then u can clean up the old one and use it to store your all important backups.
when install the new motherboard u will need to reformat and istall the os from scratch. the backups are real handy.