PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Check Mail

02-05-2001, 03:34 PM
Is there any way I can Get outlook to check for new mail automatically without having OE open?. Such as an application that sits in the task bar etc. I believe Netscape has this option, but cant seem to find it in OE.

02-05-2001, 05:17 PM
...try this (haven't tested it myself but should work) -

In Outlook Express go: Tools > Options > and open the General tab. In the Send/Receive Message function tick the box marked 'check for new messages every ...[x]... minutes'. Adjust the 'x' to suit your purpose.

Then, choose your preference from the available settings in the function marked 'If my computer is not conected at this time'. Depending on your version, the option to 'connect even when working off-line' might provide your solution.

Although outside the scope of your specific quiery, adjustments such as this do raise the ancillary but necessary question of a system's security - but that remains for another posting.

03-05-2001, 12:51 PM
Thanx for the advice, however I alredy have this set up, it only works if OE is open and just starts a dialup connection if one is not present. I know it sounds fussy but I hate having an OE window open all the time cluttering my Desktop/Task Bar. Any other suggestions appreciated.