PDA

View Full Version : Video prob's- 100% CPU useage but only in games!

02-05-2001, 11:08 AM
In games only, the video gets choppy, and even freezes for up to 5 secs. I run sysmon in the background while playing the game, and when I shut the game down it shows me that my 1Ghz Athlon has been running at 100% capacity for the entire time the game has been running.
I've tried to find out if the problem is game-specific, but it's consistent over Half-life, Counter-strike, Quake 3 Arena, Quake 3 Team Arena.
I've tried turning display colour depths, resolutions and textures up to max and down to min, but there's no difference.
I tried software rendering, OpenGL and Direct 3D, but no difference.
I shut down all backgound apps until only Systray and Explorer remain.
My Nvidia GeForce 2 MX's drivers have were updated about two months ago.
This problem has only arisen since fiddling with the display option in Half-life. I've uninstalled Half-life but the problems persist, should I reinstall and leave the video settings alone, and hope they overwrite the incorrect settings (whatever they may be) that exist now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Brad

02-05-2001, 12:29 PM
Hi, stop chasing the CPU thing, it's normal and expected that your CPU would go to 100% during games. -you know you're getting your maximum Frames per sec out of that lovely 1GHz CPU. I would suspect there is still another program running in the background, and unfortunatly the Win9x task manager won't show all processes. There are some third party ones that may reveal the app however. Alternativly, check you have all the correct motherboard drivers as well as for your video card. -Of course the Sysmon app might be the one *causing* the freeze too though!

02-05-2001, 05:29 PM
Close down Sysmon. It slows everything down