PDA

View Full Version : How to get a microphone to work

sarel
26-05-2008, 03:27 PM
This weekend I tried to get Skype going with a webcam and a microphone. (Different models, webcam without any mic). B*gger me, I still can't get the mic going, even Googling for it. Surely it should be straight forward - connect to the right sound port, and way you go. Nooooooo, not so - I also tried the various solutions Skype had for mics but none worked. XP SP3, 1.something AMD.

Is there an easy way to do this or should I just get a combined cam/mic?

sarel

Speedy Gonzales
26-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Go to control panel / sounds and audio devices.

Volume tab / advanced. Make sure the mic is ticked under options / recording, and the slider is up. So, it'll pick the mic up.

sarel
26-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I did that Speedy - no luck. It was the first thing I did. Makes me wonder whether the mic is still OK - has been in a cupboard for about 12 months or so

sarel

jwil1
26-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Is the 20dB boost option in Audio Properties (under Mic) ticked? Otherwise it might be too low for you to hear it.

sarel
26-05-2008, 04:00 PM
I'll check (at work now) - will do it tonight. I do not need to put the grey sound jack into any other colour sound port I think, do I.

S

jwil1
26-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Not quote sure what you mean, but the mic jack goes to the pink port.

sarel
27-05-2008, 08:38 AM
sound jack is grey coloured. at back of PC - multicoloured ports, one of them is gray.

Nope, did everything listed here last night, no change. No 20db option in XP, I think, I've checked everywhere.

sarel

Bantu
27-05-2008, 08:47 AM
sarel can you try the mic on another or someone else's computer? At least that would narrow down the problem a bit.

Pink/Red is the standard Mic Port on any board or SB sound card I have seen, but your motherboard manual will tell you this.

rob_on_guitar
27-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Are you running extra sound progs? Might be just ticked in your sound card set up.

Deane F
27-05-2008, 09:32 AM
If you are using a motherboard with Realtek HD - go to:

Start -> Control Panel -> Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager. On the "Mixer" tab, make sure the little volume knob is turned right to maximum.

That worked for me when I couldn't get any level out of the mic in Skype or on Call of Duty 4 multiplayer.

sarel
27-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Hey thanks guys, will try that tonight.

I'll also try the mic on the wife's lappie (if I can) tonight.

sarel

Sherman
27-05-2008, 09:55 AM
To add what others have said, the grey port is USUALLY for the side speakers in a 7.1 surround sound setup. If there is a pink jack, plug the mic into that.

rob_on_guitar
27-05-2008, 10:12 AM
If you are using a motherboard with Realtek HD - go to:

Start -> Control Panel -> Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager. On the "Mixer" tab, make sure the little volume knob is turned right to maximum.

That worked for me when I couldn't get any level out of the mic in Skype or on Call of Duty 4 multiplayer.

Yup, thats the one I was trying to think of, check the playback inputs isnt ticked for mute too:)

sarel
27-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Thx guys, will do

sarel

theother1
27-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Skype /Tools/ Options/ Audio Settings/microphone/choose from the drop down menu.

I had the same problem when I started using it and I went into the computers audio settings time after time and just put in the too hard basket for ages. Then I had a fiddle in Skype one day and found this path.
Be warned, Just occasionally it reverts to the windows default device and you have to reset the sound options as above.

jwil1
27-05-2008, 05:46 PM
You have turned it on haven't you? :D

(I was called to 'fix' a client's mic for Skype and found it wasn't turned on ... :lol:)

JJJJJ
28-05-2008, 08:23 AM
My solution was to buy a USB headset. Just plug it in and forget it.

sarel
28-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Report back time : It's working.

JJJJJ - we are planning to do that but then we got an older style cam free and I had the mic.
jwil1 - yep, it was turned on
theother1 - that was where I started, did not help
DeaneF - THANK YOU, your advice worked. I fiddled around in Skype and in the sounds and audio devices without luck but as soon as I fiddled in the Realtek folder lo and behold, sound. It was pretty low volume for a start, but then I fiddled with the volume controls (again, Realtek) and it worked beautifully. Quality is a bit crap, leading to the possible replacement with an USB in the future

To all the guys - thanks a lot for all the advice. You guys are really good.

sarel

stianek
27-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Everytime I do this, Volume Controll, it always pops back at "Mute" Microphone. Why is that? Skype tells me the can't even detect the mic. Help me out please. The MSI Sound manager, well. There is nothing there that Fixes the problem.