PDA

View Full Version : Late Corn Crop = Starvation?

SurferJoe46
26-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Iowa (a major member of the US corn belt) has had a devastating corn crop failure.

They can't plant until the soil dries up a lot more...maybe weeks. ..and the delays will have a dramatic global implication. This will make it impossible to harvest the corn when it becomes mature..because it will be dead from the Winter snow by then.

The loss to crop acres is about another 8% this year, down the third year in a row in what was double-digit losses the last two, and commodity markets, driven by fear and hopes, will drive the costs out of sight before the next harvest.

Worse yet, the futures marketeers are driving the corn that is already in the hoppers and silos from last year's harvest, artificially more valuable right now.

A loss of just 4% was considered a major disaster...but that was before the advent of corn-for-cars technology.

Add to the fray that 22% of the crop this year will be dedicated to ethanol production, taking many comestible bushels out of the loop, driving the prices even higher.

Prices aside, the loss of all that corn will impact the tables of people who don't realize that corn drives so many other ag-industries as well as chemical and subsistence foods to third-world nations. If they can indeed afford to buy it, it won't even be in the markets any way.

Whole states in Mexico have NOT seen corn on their market shelves for many months now. Corn is the #1 foodstuff in Mexico and there are a lot of hungry Mexicans who are suffering badly.

Acres of Mexican agave, the base for tequila, are being plowed under to plant fuel-intended corn, and it won't be eaten in tacos and tortillas in Mexico, even though the Mexican themselves are planting and harvesting their own hunger by being hired to work the fields.

Add to this whole scene that Myanmar was a primary producer of rice and it has had many...if not most of their rice field destroyed by the recent weather debacle.

Let's see: rice, corn and fuel..what's next...water?

Got a companion animal (pet)?

Feed them well...if you know what I mean.

Battleneter2
26-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Why don't you organise a rally in Washington protesting biofuel production.

SurferJoe46
26-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Oh...c'mon..that isn't the answer......

Let's just iggy it all and enjoy what time we have left. No sense going all the way to DC (the gas) and trying to get some of the ivory towers to bend.

They won't have to dumpster dive for aluminum cans any time soon.

Battleneter2
26-05-2008, 09:12 AM
You seem to care enough about certain world events enough to make large forum posts, and being a American citizen you have far more power to effect world change (the US being currently the worlds largest economy).

If the US introduced a law 5 years ago, taxing SUV's and other poor fuel consuming vehicles, subsides hybrids and better performing cars, that would be having a huge impact now, certainly pushing peak oil back by years. This would have had a flow on effect to other countries no doubt adopting similar policies. Biofuel would be "less" of a issue.

Hardly rocket science I would have thought.

Erayd
26-05-2008, 10:06 AM
You seem to care enough about certain world events enough to make large forum posts, and being a American citizen you have far more power to effect world change (the US being currently the worlds largest economy).

If the US introduced a law 5 years ago, taxing SUV's and other poor fuel consuming vehicles, subsides hybrids and better performing cars, that would be having a huge impact now, certainly pushing peak oil back by years. This would have had a flow on effect to other countries no doubt adopting similar policies. Biofuel would be "less" of a issue.

Mate, this is a post about crop failure, not problems with the global oil supply. That was in another thread.

kenj
26-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Today, crop failure affects fuel as well. Unfortunately!!!

People are going to starve because cropping land is being used for growing crops for bio-fuel.

Ken

Bantu
26-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Sacks of condoms instead of sacks of rice and corn to the poorer countries that can not afford the expensive rice and corn let alone the extra to feed numerous unwanted kids.

Digby
26-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Yes Ill donate a sack.

Even better - mobile sterilization facilities !

pine-o-cleen
26-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Good thing we feed our animals on grass!

I sometimes think that New Zealand would be far better off just being self sufficient.

BobM
26-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah, a lot of 'animals' in NZ are paying big $$ at the moment for good grass!

vinref
27-05-2008, 12:19 AM
This whole globalisation thing seems to have worked out quite badly. I was a great believer in it too - comparative advantage, free trade, free movement of labour/capital etc. In the case of rice and maize, they have moved from the mouths of the poor to the bank accounts/fuel tanks of the rich.

Battleneter2
27-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Mate, this is a post about crop failure, not problems with the global oil supply. That was in another thread.

Actually its very much linked, ever heard of biofuel?

SurferJoe46
27-05-2008, 01:39 PM

I really don't see where you can say that I am not concerned about "world events" as you say...I very much am!!!!

Maybe in YOUR opinion, I am some sorta big-headed, megawattage-user Ah-muhr-i-kan...but I decry the definition.

It sounds like you are trying to bait me into an argument...but I don't think it'll happen...I see things a little differently than you.

The world is running around like a chicken with it's legs cut off and it's not gonna get any better...but it's best left unsaid in the public post area as to why I say that.

The rocket science to which you so boldly point is doing fine...in rockets!

Food and fuel and transportation and even the smidgen of effect that humans have on the earth are all being considered...but it's all fouled up because the inmates are running the asylum.

................some run for political office; some run newspapers; some write survival books; some are talking heads on the telly....but the common thread is that they are diversions to the truth.

The next REAL biggie is gonna be water..and that's raising it's head slowly right now...but it'll gather momentum and crescendo and you'll be flat-footed when it happens because the man behind the curtains has you all steamed up over the global warming non-issue.

Do a 360 and take a good look in all directions. :confused:

Well...by now it's too late to circle the wagons..... Sorry there, pilgrim.

Even in Nevil Shute's book: "On The Beach"...NZ and Australia got it in the end.

Natch! He was an Aussie writer!

Good book though!!!!

wratterus
27-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Even in Nevil Shute's book: "On The Beach"...NZ and Australia got it in the end.

Natch! He was an Aussie writer!

Good book though!!!!

I actually thought it was an extremely boring and depressing book! :p

I'll take Alistair McLean over him any day.

SurferJoe46
27-05-2008, 04:59 PM
I actually thought it was an extremely boring and depressing book! :p

I'll take Alistair McLean over him any day.

Well then you got it!

Boring and depressing...I can see that...after all it was the untimely death of the human race.

I'd be depressed too...and the boredom would set in when there was nobody else to talk to anywhere..even a Pom.

But....an A+ for you...go to the head of the class.

As for Alistair McLean, he's a relative on my mother's side...the MacGills/Langleys.

I don't like nepotism, so I never mention him. :D There may be other reasons too.