PDA

View Full Version : Endless reboot

EviLClouD
25-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Hey, just before when I turned on my new pc, it started rebooting over and over again. Wouldn't even load the 'Gigabyte' screen. I had to flick the switch off/on on the power supply and now it seems to work. What i'm wondering now is what caused that, and also, could it possible be caused by a dying hard drive? Or a faulty PSU?

Because using Western Digital Diagnostics on my os drive it took 3:30 mins to do a quick test which has an estimated time of 1min, while my second, non-os drive took only 55 secs.

Thanks

EDIT: Did the test a second time...and it took only 1:03 mins to complete on my os drive :O

gary67
25-05-2008, 10:07 AM
What OS is it Vista or XP as XP sp3 has been having some issues like this

EviLClouD
25-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Vista home premium with service pack 1

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Its not an SP3 prob then.

Driftwood
25-05-2008, 11:11 AM
So does it reboot ok now?

EviLClouD
25-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Well it's been on for an hour or so...still going well. I just need to check tomorrow morning and see if it boots properly from a cold start...

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2008, 11:33 AM
This the system you managed to fix before with the stuffed on/off switch??

Sounds like its stuffed again or stuck / sticking.

kahawai chaser
25-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Assuming it's not a switch problem, you might be able to pinpoint the problem by considering disabling the automatic restart (to hopefully display any associated error), as described in #8 from tech republic. (http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=348)..

Agent_24
25-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I don't think it was a windows problem. he said it didn't even load the gigabyte screen (which would be the POST screen bootlogo for the motherboard)

Sounds to me more likely hardware than anything - but not likely your hard drives. If you do want to test your hard drives properly then make sure you run the "complete test" rather than the short one. (1 minute is not a thorough test for a hard drive)

Maybe it was your PSU. If it's a hyena it would be likely to be :lol:

EviLClouD
25-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Nope definitely not Hyena...it's an Enermax Infiniti 720W :D
I'm starting to think it may be the reset switch...even though after I got it replaced it was working fine until now...now i gotta see if the pc works tomorrow morning...

Agent_24
25-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Next time it happens unplug the reset switch and see if it stops, maybe the power switch too for good measure. (though that should just have the effect of turning it off again rather quickly, no reboot-loop)

EviLClouD
25-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Next time it happens unplug the reset switch and see if it stops, maybe the power switch too for good measure. (though that should just have the effect of turning it off again rather quickly, no reboot-loop)

So you mean while it's rebooting, just take off the side cover and pull out the reset switch? Or do you mean turn off the pc first then pull out the reset switch?

Agent_24
25-05-2008, 10:56 PM
I'd pull it while it was running - best way to test the theory

EviLClouD
26-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Just an update...i've found out that it only occurs on the first boot of the day. Tried it 5 mins ago and it happened again...pulled out reset switch while it was rebooting and the problem was still occuring. Flicked the power switch off/on and pressed the power button and all is fine now...