PDA

View Full Version : Defragged, now blue screens

Buff_K
25-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Last week I defragged my D drive (not windows) and as far as I can remember it all went well.

However now when I play music and stuff from it it will skip like billy-o, then blue screen. Playing games from C: is fine, no probs.

So I've run a chkdsk via D: Properties/Tools and it picks up a number of errors (inserting record into ..., and some other ones), but each time I run it they same problems are there so its not fixing them, and sometimes it just hangs on stage 4, so I have to reboot.

I thought maybe another defrag might sort it out, probly not, but anyway it hung on 20% for a long long time, so I needed to reboot that too, probably not a good thing.

Any ideas for a course of action? Will I need to reformat?

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2008, 10:22 AM
What program did u use to defrag? If the windows one, do it in safe mode

WHAT does the blue screen say?? Whats it show?? 0xxxx ?? Does it show the name of a driver / file?

A folder or a file on D maybe corrupted

Buff_K
03-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi Speeedy.

I used the windows defrag.

I have received a few more blue screens. The error reads:

Machine_check_exception

stop: 0x0000009C (0x00000004,0x805461Fo,0xB2000000,0x00070f0f)

I have downloaded a windows memory test, and that passed ok. chkdsk still crashes on phase 4 on D:.

Speedy Gonzales
03-06-2008, 07:24 PM
You doing any of this ? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284)

Buff_K
03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
thanks for that, looks like a cpu problem. Have run Prime95 for an hour and it didn't pick up any errors, and before that I have taken out 1gig of ram and replaced my 8800GT with a 6600 to see if it was a power problem (seemed other people had suggested this).

Still locks up on stage 4 of chkdsk tho (now my test).

so I've been sitting here doing nothing for a while and the hard drive still seems to be working away, is that normal? I'm not running any programs other than firefox.

wainuitech
03-06-2008, 11:46 PM
This may or may not provide some info - click start/run type in eventvwr Press Enter, look at the log files under both system & Application at the exact time(s) the PC blue screens look for a error message, double click it to expand and copy paste the complete message back here. While looking in the log files, look for one called "Disk" - (in red) are there any clusters of them.
As the first line of the link speedy posted says -
This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected and reported an unrecoverable hardware error to Windows XP some part of the hardware appears to be failing maybe.

Sweep
03-06-2008, 11:57 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284

Buff_K
05-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I have six Errors (3 different ones x 2) under system and none under Application in event viewer for the latest crash. They are side by side errors.

The errors are:

Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a 1e18e3b_8.0.50727.163_x-ww_39049d00\MFC80U.DLL. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

after a bit of a google, seems I may need to install some MS Visual C++ 2005 Redist.? Does everyone have this?

Buff_K
06-06-2008, 12:18 AM
ah, after running chkdsk and the pc crashing at phase 4 I checked the event viewer and sure enough there are several Disk errors (after the same side by side ones again).

Error reads:
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

googling that now...

CYaBro
06-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Sounds like the hard drive has bad sectors.
Doing the defrag may have moved data into the dodgy areas.
I would be doing a backup ASAP as the drive might be about to fail.

Buff_K
06-06-2008, 12:58 AM
perhaps, but I've been doing a bit of reading here http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/12946/?o=480
and the general gist seems to be that there is no serious problem with the drive, instead its a Microsoft/ drive compatibility problem.

Some people suggest updating the chipset drivers, but I'm not too sure what they mean by chipset, CPU, mobo?

I have an AMD athlon 64
a Gigabyte mobo
not sure what my Hard Drive is sorry

Sweep
06-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Sigh. A chipset comes with your motherboard in case you did not know.

I hope this helps.