PDA

View Full Version : What is the best freeware screen logger?

samnorr
25-05-2008, 12:45 AM
I need a good program to monitor screen activities, preferably one that can be set to only take screenshots when a certain program is opened, and to stop recording when the computer is idle.

Can someone help me?

beeswax34
25-05-2008, 04:21 AM
No.

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Well if its a certain program, remove it. Then you wont need anything

Jen
25-05-2008, 09:59 AM
This request along with your other thread sounds like you are wishing to do something that is not ethical or legal.

Unless you can explain to us what your reasons are for this request, I will close this thread.

samnorr
25-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Well thanks a lot for all your generous help everyone.

I don't believe how completely rude everyone is being to me, just because I asked for advice. Quite frankly, it is none of your business what I want to use the program for, and it's shocking that I'm being accused of doing something illegal when there are so many key and screen logger programs out there, with lots of different uses.

I have only just joined this forum, and I am already very disappointed with the community. The responses that I've got for my first two threads have been appalling. I've gotten better ones from gaming sites.

Jen
25-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Quite frankly, it is none of your business what I want to use the program for, and it's shocking that I'm being accused of doing something illegal when there are so many key and screen logger programs out there, with lots of different uses.Actually as a Moderator of this forum it is my job to ensure help with illegal activities are not being requested. Your posts raise this point and I simply asked for clarification.

A simple explanation would have resolved this.

password
25-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Samnorr, Jen only asked if it was for legal purposes.

To me and most likely alot of people, it does sound like quite dodgy stuff from your last post concerning " I would like to run a screen logger program in the background, without its icon showing in the system tray", and now asking about Screen Loggers...

Me and Alot of people here are Pc Techys or work with Pc Techys, and we see computers that have been screwed by viruses and hackers almost every day, so we ave very concerned as we would hate to condone and help that sort of **** happening.

We would help to our best, i know these guys, and they are awesome, but If you would say what you would use it for then we would see your side and help.

Thanks, William.

Edit: Awwwww jen you beat me!

samnorr
25-05-2008, 10:11 PM
The reason I want to use a screen logger is to stop illegal activities, for heavens sake!

One of my family members has been pirating PC games, and I'm just trying to keep an eye on what he is downloading. I honestly hate people who pirate games and ruin the PC game industry, just because they are too lazy to buy them from a store.

password
25-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I will leave this to you to decide Jen. =D

Have a good night.

samnorr
25-05-2008, 10:23 PM
I will leave this to you to decide Jen. =D

Have a good night.

Decide? Now that I've told you my reasons like you asked, your going to accuse me of lying? If so, I swear on my own life that I told you the truth.

*sigh* This is getting ridiculous. Perhaps it would just be easier for me to ask for help somewhere else.

password
25-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Nope dude, i dont have no power over the forum lol, Jen is the mod, the power is in her hands!!!

I think your reason is quite true.

Muahahahaha =P

jwil1
25-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Decide? Now that I've told you my reasons like you asked, your going to accuse me of lying? If so, I swear on my own life that I told you the truth.

You could just look in your PC's history, couldn't you?

robbyp
25-05-2008, 10:39 PM
The reason I want to use a screen logger is to stop illegal activities, for heavens sake!

One of my family members has been pirating PC games, and I'm just trying to keep an eye on what he is downloading. I honestly hate people who pirate games and ruin the PC game industry, just because they are too lazy to buy them from a store.

What you are requesting is equally as dodgy IMHO. WHat you are requesting does not sound like it is the right tool for your application anyway. If you are so concerned by 'your families' activities, either actively watch what your other 'family members' are doing, or completely block them unless they have your supervison. I think people here have been more than fair with you, as your posts do sound very dodgy.

password
25-05-2008, 10:42 PM
What about website blockers, stop them going on certain sites?

Metla
25-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Righto, Now he/she has had the intentions and morality questioned, shall we now call there parenting skills into question?

sal
25-05-2008, 11:19 PM
What OS does your family use? If Vista (not sure from which version up) look into Parental Controls (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/parentalcontrols.mspx) which does a pretty decent job of monitoring computer usage short of "screen caps" which I don't think is best for monitoring computer usage anyway. If not on Vista, check out Crawler Parental (http://www.crawlerparental.com/), it seemed to check out (http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/crawlerparental.com) although I can't say I've used it before.

And just so you know, I too am skeptical of your motives as posting various (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/183557.html) clips (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/188265.html) (I'm aware you merely reposted them) and posting similar threads (http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?p=10890880) at Gametrailers doesn't hold up your story.

wainuitech
25-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Since its a bit sus as to intentions, and so no one here gets into any sort of legal trouble, do a google search, then take your pick.
Mind you as I mentioned in an earlier post, any good antivirus / antispyware program will more than likely detect the software and render it useless, as it will be doing exactly the same activities as viruses/spyware.

dyewitness
27-05-2008, 12:22 PM
There is legimate use for this type of software, eg. to take the drudge out of recording time spent on certain tasks.

http://www.timesnapper.com/
There is mention of a freeware version, not sure of it's features though.

wainuitech
27-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Instead of taking screen shots and spying on family members, which would no doubt cause all sorts of mistrust, arguments etc, why not simply block the sites.

If you download IMLock (http://www.comvigo.com/buynow/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=display&ref=splash&sid=x1230azj4d88516q8r1c3134moy57bnw), have a look at the different versions, as to what each will do, then decide. This program does / can run invisible and its good for blocking out certain activity's, not just for chat programs.

I have had to install this program in a couple of business's that a certain person(s) wouldn't stop visiting banned places from the company, in company time,(trade me was one) it simply redirects you to a preconfigured site, or a message pops up saying the site is blocked.
While you can alter certain files to stop this, if the person knows about it, and has the knowledge they can work around the blocks, IMlock runs invisible and needs a password even to remove/alter after hitting a certain key combo - Spying on people is NOT the way to stop these activity's - it only leads to trouble.

utopian201
27-05-2008, 02:35 PM
I supposed you'd like help creating something which would then store these screen shots, compress them, encrypt them, then send them to an email address of your choice?

I'm not sure what your intentions are, but if i had these 'requirements' i would most definitely NOT be using an existing program. I'd make it myself. It wouldn't be that hard to make a program which did the same windows system call as the print screen key.

Actually, whats to stop anyone here from making such a program for you with comprehensive install instructions, PM'ing you it, then getting -your- screen caps and keyboard data?

Good luck trying to find an existing 'safe' one. If you play with fire, you'll get burned.

Battleneter2
27-05-2008, 03:27 PM
In the OPs defense there can be fairly moral reasons for keyloggers.

1. A cheating spouse.
2. A one source of truth for tracking a childs activity on MSN,Bebo,online games such as WOW etc.

There are some programs around that will keylog,take screen shots at intervals AND even email a external address.

Due to the tone of this thread I won't post links, but they can be found with Google and some are not detected by antivirus as they are seen as legit software.

samnorr
03-06-2008, 10:03 PM
In the OPs defense there can be fairly moral reasons for keyloggers.

1. A cheating spouse.
2. A one source of truth for tracking a childs activity on MSN,Bebo,online games such as WOW etc.

There are some programs around that will keylog,take screen shots at intervals AND even email a external address.

Due to the tone of this thread I won't post links, but they can be found with Google and some are not detected by antivirus as they are seen as legit software.

Thank you for the advice, I knew there must be one decent member that could answer my question without questioning my moralities. My intention is more moral than any of the two reasons above - surely stopping software piracy is a justified reason to spy on someone.

beeswax34
03-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Er, no.

Term_X
03-06-2008, 11:35 PM

a key/screen logger isnt required to keep an eye on that, in fact, using a key logging program to do that would be serious overkill and semi ridiculous.

checking things like download history, file history, browsing history is much easier. are there p2p programs installed? check the history in them.

bob_doe_nz
04-06-2008, 12:10 AM
I have to admit, I have used a keylogger program. Primarily it was to add to my list of items to block in my router. With varying degrees of success.