PDA

View Full Version : Speedfan showing HOT temps

Thebananamonkey
24-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi All,

Just put together my first comp, and all seems to be running nicely (apart from working on a borrowed CRT for the week until I can afford a nice 22")

Anyway, speedfans showing some really hot temps, it says AUX is running at 122, and TEMP is 50...

I'm not really sure what these mean... but I don't like the 122 thing one bit. Any ideas?

It's running vista64, has a Q6600, asus p5k-e, xFx geForce 9800GTX. And this is the first day it's been up.

P.S where do I upload screenshots etc to? Not sure how to do that...

williamF
24-05-2008, 08:25 PM
has the bios got a system monitor utility? check in there, the program may be misreading the sensors or not configed properly. try motherboard monitor or some other system monitoring utilities

jwil1
24-05-2008, 08:27 PM
AFAIK AUX gives a garbage value unless it is assigned to anything. Mine says 127 Deg C. See second link below for how to stop it showing.

Upload images to ImageF1 (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/?page=basic)

Seen as you have an Asus mobo, install Asus PCProbe and get a temp reading on your desktop. It's on the driver CD IIRC.

This is what my SpeedFan looks like - the second SS shows how to disable AUX from showing. First link (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/speedfan1.jpg)

Second link (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/speedfan2.jpg)

Thebananamonkey
24-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Cheers, I figured that it was a false reading, but thought I'd check first. This thing's been the apple of my eye (not that apple though... If it fried, I'd be terrified.

Installing COD4 atm, so I'll check PCProbe in a second.

:D

jwil1
24-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Great, BTW are you using the stock cooler on your Q6600? I am and it seems almost inadequate. What temps are you getting under load?

SPARTAN 860
24-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I get less than 50 degrees under load, but that might be because of my fans. If I didn't have them, I think it would be quite high.

Agent_24
24-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Speedfan is great at telling lies about sensors.. try something else like coretemp or nxsensor or everest

Thebananamonkey
24-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Great, BTW are you using the stock cooler on your Q6600? I am and it seems almost inadequate. What temps are you getting under load?

Temps are incredibly low, I'm using a giant Zalman beastie. but haven't put too much stress on it, as I'm sitting at my dining table with a giant CRT. LOL!

Moving onto a desk when I get it, and getting an LCD... It's quite a pathetic picture atm.

The Zalman is quite loud though... It came with a manual fan controller, but I haven't used it. And vista doesn't seem to want to make it go quiet... On the box it said something about computing silence... don't believe the hype.

Thebananamonkey
24-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Would you guys say that it would be safe to turn the virtual cache off if I have 4GB of RAM?

If it was XP, no question... but this is vista we're talking about. What do you guys think?

Agent_24
25-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Maybe, depends if you're going to be running Crysis as well etc.... Otherwise get 8GB of RAM :lol: