PDA

View Full Version : Sharing files between PC and laptop

Beemer
24-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone, I've now got sorted with a laptop and wireless router (easier than buying a new modem) and it's all configured and I can access the internet on both computers.

Now comes the tricky part... I understand I can share files, etc between the two computers - but how do I do it? The router came with something called Network Magic and I installed that on both computers, but for some reason despite it saying that the files are accessible, I can't access the PC's files from the laptop. They are showing up, but when I click on the folder to open it, the only document in there is an Office 2007 trial version text document. When I check on both computers, both say the files are accessible, so any advice on how I can access everything?

I have Office 2003 and I asked if I could load that on the laptop too and was told it could be put on three computers so I loaded it onto the PC. It had a trial version of Office 2007 (which it wouldn't allow me to activate - kept saying I had nothing in my shopping cart despite it being a free trial so I gave up!) but I'm happy with 2003 for now. However, every time I open a Word document or Excel document, a box appears that says "Office application version does not match". I activated the software but didn't register it again, so what has gone wrong and how can I get rid of this message?

Thirdly, I haven't even got as far as email yet - when I click on Outlook 2003 in all programs I get this message: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. MAPI32DLL is corrupt or the wrong version. This could have been caused by installing other messaging software. Please reinstall Outlook."

Sorry for the pile of questions - I thought I was doing well to get as far as I did without any outside help, but HELP!

Speedy Gonzales
24-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Did you uninstall Office 07??

Follow this for that error (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926196/en-us)

You can share folders / and copy files / docs across. Did you create and share a folder?

Beemer
24-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Did you uninstall Office 07??

Follow this for that error (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926196/en-us)

You can share folders / and copy files / docs across. Did you create and share a folder?

I'm following the first steps but as for did I create and share a folder - I don't think I did, so how do I go about doing that?

And another problem that I thought I could fix - the shift key is creating some strange characters - if I want @ I get " and vice versa - I did see this problem mentioned on another website I belong to but when I tried the advice they had given, nothing worked. They said to check the language is EN but I can't even get that to show up despite clicking on the language toolbar. She was talking about a separate keyboard rather than a laptop, not sure if that makes any difference. I tried updating the driver but it said it was up to date.

Speedy Gonzales
24-05-2008, 04:49 PM
What version of XP is it? Home or Pro.

Create a folder (put it on c or wherever / right mouse -> new -> folder)

Name it whatever you want.

Right mouse on the folder / sharing and security, enable sharing.

Then go to tools / folder options in my computer / view.

Tick the bottom option. Use simple file sharing.

Dont share the whole hdd.

Beemer
24-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Right, I uninstalled Office 2007 and renamed that MSMapi32.dll file and then rebooted as it prompted me to. I can open Word without the message but I get the same message as before when I open Outlook, and this message when I open Excel "one of your object libraries (stdole.32.tlb) is missing or damaged. Please run setup to install it."

I'm running Vista Home Premium on both machines and although I could create and name a folder, right clicking on it didn't give me the options you stated. I clicked on share but I wasn't sure what to do after that step as it didn't have 'enable' or anything.

Speedy Gonzales
24-05-2008, 04:58 PM
I have no idea where file sharing is in Vista, never used it.

Someone who uses Vista, will have to tell you how / and where to go, to share folders.

I would uninstall Office 2003 then reinstall it. Office 07 probably screwed things up, if you installed Office 07, then Office 03

Beemer
24-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks for what you have been able to help me with! I couldn't install all of 2003 properly before (it wouldn't let me, must have been to do with 2007) but it's allowing me to do so now, so hopefully I will at least have that part working soon, including Outlook. I would like to be able to share my email folders too, so hopefully some Vista whiz will be lurking out there!

Speedy Gonzales
24-05-2008, 05:09 PM
File sharing usually means files (putting files / original exe files / docs etc in a folder) on the hdd. And sharing them.

And copying them across to the networked PC/'s

Not sharing within programs, or sharing programs.

The program (Office, in this case) will probably have to be installed on the other pc, if you want to use Outlook for email, on it.

wainuitech
24-05-2008, 05:19 PM
All my Vista PC's are busy at the moment, so I cant do screen shots - Are the Computers able to see one another on the network ? In other words is network discovery turned on ?

To turn on network discovery,
1. Open the Control Panel (Classic view).
A) Click on the Network and Sharing Center icon
Click on the down arrow to the right of Network Discovery to expand it

Under File sharing, make sure its selected, Password Protected sharing is OFF, alter the others as you see fit.

Have a look at This page (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx) - its quite long but well worth the read.

BUT when you get to the part on sharing a folder Look at the video Link below - far easier.

Once you have got the PC's seeing one another, download This video (http://dl4u.savefile.com/87e591fa1b8c24b3531e5f2e4c58344d/Sharing_a_Folder_In_Vista.avi) - I made it to give to customers to show how to share folders. Its 7.4mb in size - no audio

The original is MUCH clearer but to big to use as a download. It shows creating a folder, not showing as shared, then sharing and finally showing as shared.

Beemer
24-05-2008, 06:26 PM
File sharing usually means files (putting files / original exe files / docs etc in a folder) on the hdd. And sharing them.

And copying them across to the networked PC/'s

Not sharing within programs, or sharing programs.

The program (Office, in this case) will probably have to be installed on the other pc, if you want to use Outlook for email, on it.

Right, I think I may possibly be expecting to be able to do something that isn't possible! I was under the impression that (once Office 2003 was loaded on the laptop) I could access files on the PC through the laptop - so if I created a document called say 'today's work' on the PC, when I opened the laptop I could access and open that document and work on it. Is that possible? Or is that only possible with web servers? Would I have to send or copy (by email or other means) those files onto the laptop rather than being able to access them from one or the other?

I just had a read of the first part of that document wainuitech directed me to and that's where I got the feeling I may have been trying to do the impossible! Blame me for being born blonde if that's the case! But I can 'share' the printer - in other words choose print on a document on the laptop and use the printer hooked up to the PC to print through? (I'm pretty sure I've set that up...)

Agent_24
24-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Yes you can do that, you need to create your document and then save it in a shared folder. If the folder isn't already shared then right-click on it -> properties -> sharing and then share the folder and choose a name

Then, on the other computer you can access the other by opening run (that's how I do it, fastest) and then type in the other computer's name with double backslash in front. eg: "\\computernamehere" then press OK.

Your computer will open windows explorer and show all the shared folders on it. from there you can open the files you need.

Speedy Gonzales
24-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Thats right, you can share a printer on a network

Well you can share docs like you say, BUT if the laptop doesnt have a program, (like Word, or whatever you created the document with), to read / or open that document.

You wont be able to see whats in it. On the laptop / networked PC. Or edit it / save it

(It wont use whatever program on the networked computer).

The program needs to be installed on the computer you're opening the document / file in)

You can make a shortcut (to the laptop, from the PC).

I dont know how to do this in Vista tho (In XP, you go to start/run, and type sendto. Right mouse / new shortcut, select the folder you shared (on the other PC). Then you can copy whatever, from the PC to the laptop - or vice versa). By highlighting whatever file / right mouse on whatever file / sendto -> the shortcut you just created.

wainuitech
24-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Since this is Vista the easiest way to create a shortcut to a networked folder is almost the same as XP.

Go to the folder/document on the host PC you want have the link to, right click / select Create Shortcut, that will place a networked link on the Laptop, when you connect the laptop back into the network it will automatically reconnect that link.

I do the above for several files/folders that are on my server, but open across the network using Word. The actual server does not have word installed, only the working PC.

As for the printer its the same, right click the printer on the Host PC, select share, then on the laptop, open the printers folder by clicking printers, or typing printers in the search, then select " Add printer" on the next window select " Add a networked Printer" , it will go through, locate the printer, ask for permission, copy across the drivers from the Host PC, and thats it done.

wainuitech
24-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Just an update to stop any confusion -
Go to the folder/document on the host PC you want have the link to, right click / select Create Shortcut, that will place a networked link on the Laptop, when you connect the laptop back into the network it will automatically reconnect that link.

You would open / locate the file/folder from the laptop over the LAN and the original is on the PC.

Also for printer sharing make sure its enabled in the network discovery on all machines.

SPARTAN 860
24-05-2008, 09:43 PM
p.s If you have Zone Alarm (the free version) for a firewall, check the IP address of each pc and add it to its trusted zone, otherwise, you will not be able to access your files on your other pc. Also, ususally, people only share the 'Public files' of the other pc, so you won't be able to access your laptops system files on your desktop, and vice versa.

Beemer
25-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks all, some great advice there that I can try tomorrow when I'm not so tired! How do I check the IP address of each PC and then how do I add it to the trusted zone of Zone Alarm (I'm pretty sure that's what I have on the PC but I'm using the laptop right now)?

And any advice on how to return the @ and " to their rightful positions? They are the only two I've found so far, but they happen to be two keys I use a fair bit and I'm sure they can swap places somehow!

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Hmm why is it, when people have a prob with sharing files, they ALWAYS post in the last post, that they've got a firewall !

TELL US EVERYTHING, when you create a new thread

Including if you've got a firewall installed (If its not Windows firewall).

Then it wont take so long to figure out, why file sharing isnt working.

Beemer
25-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Hmm why is it, when people have a prob with sharing files, they ALWAYS post in the last post, that they've got a firewall !

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's because I am not a computer person as such. When I got my computer the guy who installed all my software for me also loaded antivirus software, spyware doctor, etc and activated my firewall and as they are things that run in the background rather than me opening them every time I want to use them, I tend to forget about them.

I don't actually appear to have Zone Alarm after all that, I am using the Windows firewall. I have Avast 4.8 and Spyware Doctor 5.5.0.204.

wainuitech
25-05-2008, 11:28 AM
To check your IP address, in Vista, click start Orb, in the search type in CMD in the results open the command Prompt, type in ipconfig press enter.

You will get something like This here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/IP_address1211668527.jpg) - look for the default gateway, thats the important one. < thats a XP screen shot, but more or less the same in Vista.

Edited: in that case if you are only using windows firewall disable it on both computers, that way once the connections are made, then security can be added, I'd suggest Comodo firewall.

feersumendjinn
25-05-2008, 12:12 PM
And any advice on how to return the @ and " to their rightful positions? They are the only two I've found so far, but they happen to be two keys I use a fair bit and I'm sure they can swap places somehow!
Click the Start Orb and type in the search bar (bottom left corner) 'Regional And Language Options', click that then make sure your format/region/language is set to NZ and then check your keyboard is set to US.
You can also change key assignments here.

Beemer
25-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Click the Start Orb and type in the search bar (bottom left corner) 'Regional And Language Options', click that then make sure your format/region/language is set to NZ and then check your keyboard is set to US.
You can also change key assignments here.

Did that, but I still have the same problem. I can't see how to change the key assignments, it only seems to give me options to add other languages.

SPARTAN 860
25-05-2008, 05:24 PM
To check your IP address, in Vista, click start Orb, in the search type in CMD in the results open the command Prompt, type in ipconfig press enter.

You will get something like This here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/IP_address1211668527.jpg) - look for the default gateway, thats the important one. < thats a XP screen shot, but more or less the same in Vista.

Edited: in that case if you are only using windows firewall disable it on both computers, that way once the connections are made, then security can be added, I'd suggest Comodo firewall.

Or if you don't like CMD, press the start orb, click network on the right side, then click network and sharing center in the top of the window that you just opened, then click view full map on the top right hand corner. Now place your mouse (do not click) over each pc that appears in the network map. It will give you an IP address for each PC.

feersumendjinn
26-05-2008, 02:08 AM
Maybe this'll help

Change your keyboard layout

You can customize your keyboard for a specific language or format by changing the keyboard layout. The layout controls which characters appear on the screen when you press the keys on your keyboard. Some input languages have several keyboard layouts; others have only one. For example, you can change your keyboard layout from the English QWERTY format to the English Dvorak format. After you change the layout, the characters on your screen might not correspond to the characters on your keyboard keys.

Before you can change the keyboard layout, you must add the input language and keyboard layout that you want to use to Windows. For more information, see Add an input language.

From help files (typed in "qwerty" in Help And Support search)
You're right about key assignment, I was wrong, sorry :(

Beemer
26-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Maybe this'll help

From help files (typed in "qwerty" in Help And Support search)
You're right about key assignment, I was wrong, sorry :(

Don't worry, I finally had a brainwave and looked in the control panel of my PC to see what regional and language settings were in there. It had English (New Zealand) US for the default input language and EN English (New Zealand) - keyboard - US so I changed the settings on the laptop to match and voila! I now have my @ and quote marks back in their respective places!

I uninstalled Word 2003 and reinstalled it and I now have Outlook working fine. I set it up with a couple of my email addresses so I can at least email from the laptop until I work out the file sharing side of things.

Thanks everyone for all your help but I think working this out for myself (with your advice) is proving to be a bit beyond me, so I'm going to wait until a mate who works in computers (and does all my repairs) can take a look at it and show me what I need to be doing. Having said that, if he doesn't hurry up, I may sit down again and try and follow your steps!

feersumendjinn
27-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Okay, glad to help.