PDA

View Full Version : $500,000

rob_on_guitar
24-05-2008, 12:44 PM
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/080523/3/5ofo.html

I thought scams were suposed to take your money....:illogical :D

Although, what if the bank didnt freeze her account??

Greg
24-05-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm not suggesting anyone do anything improper with that kind of money, but wouldn't it be kinda easy, if the money actually existed in her account, to go do a few ATM withdrawals, before the scam was found out?

Although I kinda suspect the money wasn't in fact credited to her account, and the figure was faked by some cunning electronic means.

rob_on_guitar
24-05-2008, 12:56 PM
i wonder, say she honestly believed it, played dumb and went along with it, could she have got away with it?
The bank was pretty onto it though....

trinsic
24-05-2008, 02:01 PM
i wonder, say she honestly believed it, played dumb and went along with it, could she have got away with it?
The bank was pretty onto it though....

No. The money was fake and ASB would of got her to pay up for any missing money.

tweak'e
24-05-2008, 02:53 PM
No. The money was fake and ASB would of got her to pay up for any missing money.
fake $$$ ??? how do you fiqure that ?

unfortunatly coomon trick is to hack someones account/pc and use it to collect $$$ from scams then transfer overseas. you unwittingly become part of the scam and can cop the blame when its traced.

another good reason to keep good internet sicurity.

coldot
24-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Maybe I'm out of touch with the job market - but - you receive an email inviting you to apply for a job - and you send you bank account number in response?
Wouldn't it be more normal to find out if you were even short-listed for the job before giving bank details? Or is the story these days that employers reply to applications by saying "Great, we want you for the job and we've deposited your first month's salary to you account."

johcar
24-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Ms Ryan said she was now expecting an email from the scamsters asking her to transfer the money to another account. If it arrived she would inform police.

If it arrived??????:illogical :illogical

trinsic
24-05-2008, 07:28 PM
fake $$$ ??? how do you fiqure that ?

unfortunatly coomon trick is to hack someones account/pc and use it to collect $$$ from scams then transfer overseas. you unwittingly become part of the scam and can cop the blame when its traced.

another good reason to keep good internet sicurity.

Its a 911 scam. The money is deposited but there is a waiting period before it can be confirmed by your bank. In that time the victim is told to send the scammer a 'fee' and you can then keep the rest. But of course the money will end up bouncing. Victim ends up sending their own money to the scammer.

rob_on_guitar
24-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Its a 911 scam. The money is deposited but there is a waiting period before it can be confirmed by your bank. In that time the victim is told to send the scammer a 'fee' and you can then keep the rest. But of course the money will end up bouncing. Victim ends up sending their own money to the scammer.

True, there must some that fall for it aye. Poor buggers

Bantu
26-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Maybe I'm out of touch with the job market - but - you receive an email inviting you to apply for a job - and you send you bank account number in response?

NO normal person in their right mind would give bank details to potential employer until after the employment contract was signed.

Watch a few episodes of The Real Hustle on TV and you might learn to be careful with your bank and personal details. Although this program is UK based I bet it all goes on in NZ as well but on a smaller scale.

Deathwish
26-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Wouldn't it be more normal to find out if you were even short-listed for the job before giving bank details? Or is the story these days that employers reply to applications by saying "Great, we want you for the job and we've deposited your first month's salary to you account."

Don't worry, you are not out of date. No one in their right mind sends personal information like that so easily, my 2 cents says she probably knew what was going on and decided to take the risk and is now playing dumb to stay out of trouble - unless of course she was a :banana brain from the very beginning in which case I truly pity her.

Very common scam indeed, aimed usually at students and the like (people after quick, easy money, no questions on how), get their account number, deposit something that you know will bounce soon after, get the :banana to give you some money for a 'thanks', you get away with it. Of course once the bank finds out, you are personally liable for paying back what is not yours. Doesn't matter whether you've spent it all or sent it off to someone else (most likely they will be too hard to find by then anyway).