PDA

View Full Version : Semi-dead computer

jwil1
24-05-2008, 11:59 AM
My parent's computer has semi-died.

When you press the power button it appears to spring into life - CPU fan spins, PSU fires up, But I'm not sure if the HDs spin up.

Anyways, the power and HD access LEDs turn on and stay on indefinitely when I push the power button. Nothing appears on the screen. Optical mouse lights up. Num Lock key lights up. Machine does not POST. No beeps.

The LEDs do not normally stay on during the post and I can normally hear the gears in the CD-ROM drives looking for discs to boot from. This no longer happens, indicating that the computer isn't POSTing.

I have tried taking out each of the 2 HDs and nothing different happens. Even with no HDs the 2 LEDs still stay on solidly.

I have taken the hard disks out and (thankfully) they appear undamaged. Copying data off now without errors AFAIK. :thumbs:

ATM I'm thinking it may be a dead graphics card or mobo, seen as the symptoms still exist when there are no HDs in the PC.

What component would cause all this and how can I fix it? The computer was bought in 2002 and up until now has had no problems at all. :help:

pingu45
24-05-2008, 12:16 PM
I'd say mobo faliure..
Is it possible that it might be shock damaged? (Static electricity or power fail etc)?

feersumendjinn
24-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Gets my vote also.

wainuitech
24-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Yep looking like a dead board, but try this - remove the RAM, and try to restart, it should beep like a stuck pig. Failing that plug in another PSU, just in case. I had a customers PC last week, similar happenings ( or not happening) new PSU and away it went.

somebody
24-05-2008, 01:08 PM
I've had a PC exhibit similar problems, and it turned out to be the graphics card. Not sure why, but replacing it fixed the problem.

jwil1
24-05-2008, 01:10 PM
OK, thanks guys.

I have just unplugged everything and put it back in 1 at a time.

I tried the onboard gfx and it worked OK, so put the card back in and now works ok.

I put back in the system HD and it fired up well. I can't test it with both HDs ATM because the data is (still!) being copied off it.

Other than that, all working well (for the moment - shouldn't speak too soon tho!)