PDA

View Full Version : Phone provider and ISP for a new flat

DotNet
24-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Good evening everyone,

One of my friends is moving to a new flat and asking me about phone provider and ISP options. After some research, we have narrowed down to the following two deals. We like to hear your experience if you are already using these plans. Recommendations for other good deals are welcome too. Any reply would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There will be three users in the new flat, none of them is heavy downloader, but occasionally they download some large files and do video streaming. The ADSL speed they like to have is at least 1mbs down and 128kbs up.

(1) Vodafone $90 package, which includes phone, broadband (20GB) and some extras. This gives enough data for the three and has everything in one package. http://www.vodafone.co.nz/home-phone-and-broadband/broadband/ultimate-pack.jsp

(2) Xnet HSI Torrent ($34 base + $1.54 per GB) + Telecom phone ($30+). This gives flexibility and 75GB free data to use (during nights) if they need to. http://www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/

Chilling_Silence
24-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Hi DotNet, welcome to PressF1

You'd probably be better going for a Fusion package with Xnet, I dont know of Telecom lines that cost $30.. IIRC they costed closer to $45-55 last time I checked?

Ninjabear
24-05-2008, 05:21 AM
I would choose Xnet as I am on it.Vodafone tried to lure me across but I refused.Vodafone is very expensive and their customer service is terrible.

Why don't you choose Xnet ADSL Fusion + HSI Torrent

Wouldn't that be cheaper?Instead of being charged twice on two bills .One telecom and one vodafone you'll just be paying one company.

Also it would also save you money if you chose the fusion plan.Its $70 which comes with a free voip line and you treat it like a landline just that your modem has to be on.

If you join telecom + xnet you end up spending an extra $20

But.. then you have to buy a hardware for the VOIP to work so its a suggestion.

Telecom line is around $45-$46 not $30.

With 3 people at the flat I think you better off with the fusion that gives you full speed both ways

somebody
24-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Sounds like the original poster is in Wellington, where telecom competes with TelstraClear's pricing of $32 for a landline.

Have you considered TelstraClear Cable? I've been using it for a number of years, and found it to be excellent.

radium
28-05-2008, 08:09 PM
I am currently having the same issue, I am shifting into a new place in 3 weeks, I have had telecom bb in the past but was wanting to go somewhere else, with my dislike of telecom.

I don't want to have line rental through telecom and afaik vodafone is my only other option.

Would like to keep all the bill together but if you guys recommend xnet I might go there.

Then I still have to have a line rental company, who should I choose?

beeswax34
28-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Xnet fusion looks good if you like the option of VoIP.

Otherwise Vodafone has their scheme where they give you something free till the end of 2008 but only 1GB BB usage.

Chilling_Silence
29-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Yeah Fusion avoids the Line Rental problem :D

Definitely worth looking into :)

radium
29-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Wow that Fusion looks the Go. I never use the phone anyway and I can always get Voip If I want.

Thanks for the suggestion.

radium
29-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Does any one else have fusion?

Nomad
29-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Is Fusion available everywhere?

I have looked at Orcon's supposedly's naked ADSL but their prices were not flash. Ie., having a phone didn't cost much more, ie, a phone is generally $40, but the difference wasn't $40 cheaper for naked ADSL.

Nomad
29-05-2008, 10:59 PM
I had a look its $69.95 per month or rural customers at $89.95 per month. The speed is max up/downstream. There is no traffic included. For instance if you wanted Fusion which is VOIP which means with the right equip the router and VOIP phones or standard phones converted, you get one number with low rates for toll dialling and a number to receive free calls I think just like a normal phone with a 09 04 03 etc. area code.

The catch is $69.95 for most customers does not include any data. If you use 4GB per month, that is extra. The $69.95 is just the phone basically and the broadband without data.

So its like a Xnet Flood Plan $49.95 with no data but you get VOIP. That you pay $69.95.

I guess compared to a normal phone its $20 cheaper per month. $49.95 + $40. But then VOIP gears can be more $$ and that you need extra VOIP phones or get the standard phones converted and pay for those parts.

Chilling_Silence
30-05-2008, 12:26 AM
However you also get cheaper calling rates on VoIP...

Nomad
30-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Yup .. unless for the std phone you use those special phonecards.

The thing is its not really a naked adsl .. cos they have added in voip services which you pay for ...

I guess the real naked broadband would be no voip but just broadband which the person can use skype to dial out .. or simply their cellphone and pay $30 or 40 for internet. Well woosh is a way but I heard that might be the most reliable or cheapest if you are a avg/heavy user.

radium
31-05-2008, 02:39 PM
So whats the general recommendation then?

Nomad
31-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Well for me is that unless you are v well prepared with the limits get VOIP option with broadband or get a telephone with broadband. The diff is $20 per month.

The avg person with the phones setup for VOIP probably won't notice it .. since you are given a local number or if you wish to keep your current number you can by paying a once off fee. You get cheaper dialling rates, and you are able to receive calls and dial 111 etc. To my understanding the phone calls under VOIP won't cost you bandwith?

I think of the things to get used to is that .. phones are generally wireless cordless style. Because its with the router. You may not have the adv of the telephone jacks around the house, that ie., you expect a telephone in the kitchen all the time etc.. or in the bedroom. As a hybrid solution there might be some phones that is cordless to the router but can run via the power plug for electricity .. or cordless phones that can just sit on the charger cradle...

radium
31-05-2008, 07:37 PM
The reason I liked the look of fusion, is I don't care about having a Phone, I just want BB. I'm not one for talking on phones and I have a cell phone so if anyone wants me they can contact me.

But I wouldn't want to get fusion if it meant it was going to cost me more in Data, I was also looking a Vodafones plan but Id have to get more then 1GB.
% would be alright, 20 would be great but I still have to consider my budget.

Nomad
31-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Umm.. if you make phonecalls via VOIP with Fusion it won't cost you any data, Xnet say phonecalls are local traffic hence free.

The bottomline is Fusion would cost $69.95 unless you are in rural so in otherwords you are paying $20 more for VOIP which they have included inside the package. Fusion is full speed up/downstream, I say $20 more because a standard broadband FS both ways with Xnet is $49.95.

Don't remember $69.95 has no data, Xnet charges $1/GB.

Unfortunately, no ISP including Fusion I am aware of provide real naked broadband, in otherwords they always jack the price up and make you pay for VOIP services even if you don't want it.

There is Woosh wireless that does not need VOIP or anything but if you want you can add $20 for VOIP. You can have wireless BB from $29.95 without any phones AFAIK.

robbyp
31-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Good evening everyone,

(1) Vodafone $90 package, which includes phone, broadband (20GB) and some extras. This gives enough data for the three and has everything in one package. http://www.vodafone.co.nz/home-phone-and-broadband/broadband/ultimate-pack.jsp

I would be very wary of these types of deals, as I believe in their terms, they can change their pricing at anytime, so you could be locked into a 12 contract but end up having to pay more. I see someone has complained about this on the fair go message board too.

Safari
01-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Umm.. if you make phonecalls via VOIP with Fusion it won't cost you any data, Xnet say phonecalls are local traffic hence free.

The bottomline is Fusion would cost $69.95 unless you are in rural so in otherwords you are paying $20 more for VOIP which they have included inside the package. Fusion is full speed up/downstream, I say $20 more because a standard broadband FS both ways with Xnet is $49.95.

Don't remember $69.95 has no data, Xnet charges $1/GB.

Unfortunately, no ISP including Fusion I am aware of provide real naked broadband, in otherwords they always jack the price up and make you pay for VOIP services even if you don't want it.

There is Woosh wireless that does not need VOIP or anything but if you want you can add $20 for VOIP. You can have wireless BB from $29.95 without any phones AFAIK.

They don't jack the price up, you need a phone line to get wired broadband.
Someone has to pay for the phone line even if there is no phone number on it.

Nomad
01-06-2008, 12:35 AM
They could at least provide us a option that VOIP is a optional extra. I doubt they are giving us VOIP as a freebie under the Naked Broadband product.

If I am going to pay for the phone line without a #, then less than the $20 would be nice without the VOIP if the person does not need it.

Telstraclear provides "no charge" for their cable system .... In otherwords you can pay $50 for BB with no phone. If you want a phone you would pay approx $35 or $40 extra.