PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP3 does not detect drive

doff1
23-05-2008, 10:50 PM
I have an Iomega 80GB external USB 2.0 hard drive which I have been trying to install for a few hours. According to Iomega the drive should be detected and the drivers installed. But this has not happened apparently.
Device manager shows an 'unknown Device' in the USB section, which under 'properties' indicates that the driver is USBSTOR.
There is no way that I can discover to get a drive letter assigned to the drive,
or even to acknowledge its existence. Couild it be aything to do with the BIOS? or what?

doff1
23-05-2008, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=doff1;676827]I have an Iomega 80GB external USB 2.0 hard drive which I have been trying to install for a few hours. According to Iomega the drive should be detected and the drivers installed. But this has not happened apparently.
Device manager shows an 'unknown Device' in the USB section, which under 'properties' indicates that the driver is USBSTOR.
There is no way that I can discover to get a drive letter assigned to the drive,
or even to acknowledge its existence. Couild it be aything to do with the BIOS? or what?

Speedy Gonzales
24-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Has it been used / formatted before??

If it hasnt, it needs to be formatted through control panel / admin tools / computer management / disk management.

Highlight the entry that says unallocated (which matches the size of this hdd), then right mouse / format. Then it'll appear in my computer.

If this hdd appears in the BIOS (If the BIOS detects it), and it appears on the post screen, then windows should see it.

After you do the above.

I take it, this external case has power going to it?