PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with reading DVD's

RollEXE
23-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Well, I burnt files to DVD using Nero, but the data won't display. I though it was the disks problem, but then I tried burning another one, and it doesn't read either.

I tried a CD, and it read the files fine. It did not read my video DVD, but Power DVD player played it fine.

I tried a DVD I burnt ages ago that worked then but it didn't work either (burnt with Nero)

However, I remember it working at the start of the school holidays, because a friend bought a DVD around and we read it fine. Is it due to the drive being faulty, or is Nero just playing me around?

I will put a picture of what the drive says when I put the data DVD in (ignore the Chinese)
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/151/dvdproblemwv0.png

Help would be appreciated...

beeswax34
23-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Did you finalize or master the disc in Nero?

That may cause the problem.

That screenshot doesn't really help. What does the text say? Does it show a title or does it just say DVD-RAM Drive?

EX-WESTY
23-05-2008, 09:11 PM
What speed did you burn the DVD's at?

A slower burn will give you a better copy.

RollEXE
23-05-2008, 09:17 PM
I burnt them at 8x

The message says "Disk Drive (F:)" but the little icon displays for one of a DVD-RW disk.

Also, I don't think the disk was finalized in Nero. The box isn't ticked when I checked.

However, the disk I burned on Monday seemed to work on other people's computers.

jwil1
23-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Try updating your drive's firmware.

Poppa John
23-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Me haff reel gud fixupy porom for cuering dis pobrem. velly cheap. Dis not spam mesaje. onest. JP :thumbs:

RollEXE
23-05-2008, 09:56 PM
I MAY have to upgrade to XP service pack 3, its probably the one that never installs when I shut the computer off...

Jen
23-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Me haff reel gud fixupy porom for cuering dis pobrem. velly cheap. Dis not spam mesaje. onest. JP :thumbs:Excuse me? What are you trying to say here?

RollEXE
24-05-2008, 02:30 PM
I Upgraded to service pack 3, but it still won't read. I'm going to try and give those disks I burnt to a friend to see if it works on theirs...

feersumendjinn
24-05-2008, 02:43 PM
I'd say your burner is defective, had one a while back (DSE/BTC brand) that would read/burn dvds ok, but would not read/burn cds, took it back under warranty, got a new one.
You could try updating the firmware (in your cd/dvd drive); updating your operating system to SP3 doesn't do that, has no effect on optical drive operation.

feersumendjinn
24-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Me haff reel gud fixupy porom for cuering dis pobrem. velly cheap. Dis not spam mesaje. onest. JP :thumbs:

Think he's inferring that the original post is :spam, I don't.
(Also seems a little racially offensive in tone :groan:)

RollEXE
24-05-2008, 08:00 PM
I am not sure what the firmware version is, since its only giving me that the driver is supplied from Windows with the version 5.1.2535.0...

However, I think its 1.71.

RollEXE
30-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Sorry for double post...

I checked over the week... the DVD's I have burnt with Nero doesn't work on our computer, but it works perfectly well on other peoples.

However, it successfully read a Region 3 DVD (we got it sent over from a friend), not counting the fact it asked us to change our region.

Someone said that I either have to do a full system restore, or there is something wrong with the read/write lead of my DVD drive.

Is there any solutions? I am getting my HD back from my friend later to try the full restore.

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Dont change the region too many times.

After the 5th change it'll lock it, at the last dvd region you changed it to

The firmware isnt the same as the driver. The firmware should be on the makers site.

RollEXE
30-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Mine is a SONY (Optiarc) DVD RW AW-G170A driver.

I can't seem to find any firmware upgrades on the site...

EDIT: Found and updated from 1.71 to 1.75. >.> now it works!

FIXED! thank you everyone!

Agent_24
30-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Just as a side note on region coding - there are a lot of software workarounds for playing DVDs from different regions even when your drive has been locked to a different one to the DVD.

You can easily use a program such as DVD43 to bypass region protection or even update your drive with a patched region-free firmware (a popular site is www.rpc1.org)